Chapter 26: Lore of the Green Guardian

Song: "Never Too Late" - Three Days Grace

        Thebes took Mateo to his house. His cabin was just outside the luminescent, mushroom-filled area. Streams cut through it.

Thebes examined his flower-filled trees and large garden. His cottage was only one story, but it was large enough for a centaur. He opened his gate. His hooves tapped the cobblestone pathway behind it.

There were only a few rooms in the cabin. What took up the most space was the den and kitchen. Thebes always made sure that his cabin was neat. His den's furniture–two couches, his rocking chair, and a couple more chairs–created a circle. A single, large coffee table was in between them.

Thebes set Mateo down on one of his couches. His body was still limp from the effects of the anesthesia. The centaur lugged a fluffy blanket off the back of the couch. He tossed it over Mateo. Afterward, he went into his kitchen. Thebes opened some cabinets made from cedar. He took out a bucket and rag and soaked the rag in his sink. He pranced over to Mateo and put it over his forehead. He set the bucket down next to one of the couch's legs.

Thebes narrowed his eyebrows. "I'm going to be the one to heal you. That basilisk is going to pay." One at a time, he took Mateo's hands and examined the rash. It now covered almost the whole of his arms. Only his shoulders were rash-free. "This is definitely the forest sickness," Thebes said under his breath, dropping Mateo's hand. He scurried over to a bookshelf in the corner of the den. Frantic, he searched for a book on antidotes. If he couldn't find one, then he would make one himself. After all, Thebes had an interest in alchemy.

Before the centaur knew it, Mateo regained consciousness. His eyes snapped open. They scanned the homely cabin like a computer scanning a card key. Where was he? He recognized Thebes. "Thebes?" he asked in a feeble voice.

Thebes turned to him. "Kid, you're awake." He slapped the book he held shut. He returned it to the bookshelf and trotted to Mateo.

He tried to get up, but his shoulder and belly cried in agony. The pain knocked his breath out of him, and he yelled.

Thebes pushed him back down. "Stay down. Don't strain yourself. Your condition is very serious."

"What happened?" Mateo choked out.

Thebes grasped his uninjured shoulder. "The humans tried to take you to the hospital. However, I did not let them. Once you're a little stronger, we'll get you the antidote."

"What do you mean 'humans'?" Mateo inquired. "I don't understand, sir. Why are you helping me? I mean, I'm human."

"I'm helping you because your father was my best friend. And no sirree, kid, you are not completely human." Thebes comforted Mateo by patting his shoulder. He took a deep breath. "Your father was a fairy."

"What?" Mateo's jaw dropped.

With each sentence, Thebes grew more choked up. "I lost him to that basilisk. I'm not going to let it take you, too."

"Why didn't Mamá tell me?" Mateo had a hard time believing Thebes's words. They only succeeded in stressing him further.

"Because she wanted you to grow up as a normal human boy," Thebes replied. "She did not want you to know until you were ready."

"Ready for what?"

"Your wings," Thebes mumbled under his breath, quiet enough so that Mateo would not hear. "Stop straining yourself. You need to rest, at least for today." Thebes adjusted the rag on Mateo's forehead. He slipped his shirt sleeve off his right shoulder. "Let me clean your wound."