Chapter 30: It's Not Time to Die

Sam and Evie returned to their group's cabin after visiting Evergreen. Both children appeared overwhelmed with excitement. Evergreen's tale turned the dice on the whole Paperblank Forest mission.

Evie walked backward in front of the time traveler. She and he crossed the bridge to the cabin. "Sam, this is incredible! We now know what we need to do."

"When should we tell the others?" he inquired.

"My parents, more specifically," Evie explained. "Not now, Sam, but soon. First, Euphorbia needs to teach Mateo the basics of being a fairy. Once she does, he'll be ready to see our grandmother."

Sam hesitated a bit. "Is Autumn well?"

Images of Grandma Gilbert flashed through Evie's brain: her soft, wrinkled skin, gentle smile, and warm hug. "'Find Mam,' Sam," she said. "Not only was she talking about you; she was also talking about Mateo. I think he's very close to her."

"Will she recognize me?" As if he were cold, Sam rapidly rubbed his hands together. What if sixty years was too long for Autumn? What if she had forgotten him completely?

Evie playfully flicked his nose. "Of course, she'll recognize you, dude. After all, she gave you the pebble before me." She and her friend reached the end of the bridge. Cicadas chirped. The sky was no longer Fanta, but a mix of orange and purple. Evia and Sam climbed the cabin's steps and opened the door.

"Evie! There you are!" Evie's parents were in charge of her and her group at the moment. Everybody sat in a circle, with a couple of board games scattered about. Tate and Emrys got tired of them, so they were now building a pirate ship with the Legos.

"Where have you two been?" Charlotte snapped at Evie and Sam.

"We were just visiting Evergreen," Sam explained. "She told us that–"

Evie pinched him before he could say anymore.

"Ouch!" Sam clutched his arm.

"Is Mr. Mateo back?" Evie asked her parents.

Charlotte gulped.

Keegan merely closed his eyes. He yawned boringly.

Charlotte got up from the floor. She approached Evie and took her shoulder. "Sweetheart, he is back, but he's not in good shape. Ms. Brook, Maria, and Ben are trying to get him calm in his room." She brushed her hand across Evie's cheek. "They asked us to wait out here until it's safe."

Evie's tummy flipped. "What do you mean 'safe'?"

Shivering, Charlotte replied, "He had a bit of a breakdown in the baby store. He and Maria went there after they left the hospital."

"Wait, do you mean a mental breakdown?" Evie tugged at her hair.

From where he sat, Keegan scoffed. "I always knew that jerk was insane." He rose to his feet, also coming within reach of his daughter. "He should have never been your counselor, Evie. The camp should have put you with Mr. Jenkins, instead. When you start dating, I don't want you to get caught up with men like Mateo."

Evie narrowed her eyebrows. She clenched her fists. "Dad, stop. Mateo is not that kind of man. Don't you see? He's sick. He's been working nonstop for nine months."

Before the two could argue further, the door to Mateo's room opened. Out stepped King Benjamin. He flipped up the flaps of his shirt collar–Evie guessed to look cool.

At the sight of him, her group members stood up. They, Evie, Evie's parents, and Sam bowed to their king.

"Oh, there's no need to bow. I'm only human after all," Ben said. He gestured for everyone to stand up.