Chapter 31: Sacrifice

Song: "Whispering Winds - James Horner

        Euphorbia escorted Ranger Anthony through the sleeping village and over to the stream in front of the forest's gate. She let his hand go.

Mateo lowered his head. He could feel his demons. They expanded like a pressurized watermelon in his brain. He was on the verge of another breakdown. Mateo grabbed hold of his temples.

Euphorbia fluttered around his head. "You need to fight them, Mateo."

Hands still on his temples, Mateo collapsed to his knees. "I can't. I'm too weak."

The Green Guardian gently slapped his cheek. "You need to believe. You can get through this. I know you can."

Mateo yelled slightly. "I can't," he repeated. "El dolor."

Euphorbia was a bit frightened, but she remained calm. She folded her arms over her chest. "Where does it hurt?"

"En todas partes." What hurt the most was Mateo's tummy, head, and heart. His shoulder was okay.

"I'm going to help you, kid," Euphorbia said. "Watch this." She moved away from him and brought her palms together.

At her command, the Paperblank Forest sprung to life. Frogs hopped out of the stream. They croaked a mystifying tune. A family of deer, who heard the Guardian's plea, stepped out of the forest. They came within reach of her and Mateo.

The fawn touched Mateo's nose with her black button one.

He scratched her behind the ear, setting his hand down on her white spots, which were blended in with her chestnut fur.

She did not fight him or pull away. Instead, she put her front legs under her and sank to the ground. She stretched her body across Mateo's thighs.

The fawn's parents lied down with their child. They rested on either side of Mateo. A few frogs hopped to him. They wanted to join the gathering, too.

Mateo pictured the fawn as his own child–his little Isabella.

Euphorbia nodded at the baby and her parents. "It's okay."

Mateo rose to his feet. He picked up the fawn, holding her like a baby. He carried her over to the stream and set her down.

The fawn took a quick sip from the sweet-tasting water. Afterward, she trotted around the ranger.

He chased her around the open field.

Euphorbia fluttered after them.

Meanwhile, the fawn's parents cuddled close to one another. They touched their noses. They did not mind leaving their child with Mateo for a little bit. They knew they could trust him.

The fawn playfully ducked behind a rock, which was next to a cluster of flowers.

Mateo knew where she was, but he went along with her joke. With a small smile on his face, he tapped his chin. "Hm, I wonder where Izzy went?" When the fawn wasn't looking, he tiptoed to the rock. Mateo tapped her shoulder. "Gotcha!"

The fawn leaped out of her fur, but she soon calmed down.

Euphorbia held her finger up to the ranger and animal. She flew around them, covering them in green fairy dust.

Mateo and the fawn's feet lifted from the ground. They floated toward Paperblank's canopy.

Euphorbia kissed the young man's forehead. "Just believe."