Chapter 4: Dysfunctional Drama

The bus was scheduled to pick up Evie at 8:00 a.m. Until then, she waited on her house's front stoop. Her neighborhood, unlike Mateo's, wasn't as shady. It was more spread out. There were not a huge number of houses. In fact, there was more farmland than suburbs. The road was a little uneven in a few places because people had planted trees close to the edge of the sidewalks. The trees' roots needed somewhere to go, so they ended up moving the earth around. Despite these insecurities, Evie's street always smelled fresh. Each of her neighbors took good care of their gardens. Spring and summer were breathtaking because so many flowers were in bloom.

Evie's house was a tall two-story. Its window frames were white. The building itself was light blue. Charlotte had two separate gardens, both of which had different-colored flowers. The bus was supposed to pull up in front of the house.

Just thinking about it, Evie grew excited again. However, all Hell broke loose when she looked at her wristwatch and saw it was 8:01. "8:01?" she cried. "It's late! No! No! I've waited my whole life for an opportunity like this!" Evie set Annabelle down next to her. She gripped her head with both hands and lowered it.

8:05 rolled around, and Evie finally heard something stop in the street.

She looked up from her knees. A grin broke across her face at the sight of the bus.

It was a rather small thing–the color of a bumblebee–but that was because the camp wasn't the largest. They only accepted twenty children per season. A banner on the side of the bus read Youth Camps for the Environment: Ages 11-14.

Evie leaped to her feet. She rushed up the front steps and opened the door. "Mom! Dad! The bus is here!"

"Great, Evie! We'll come out in a sec," Charlotte called back. She and Keegan were out in a jiffy, with Ms. Gilbert slowly following from behind. Together, they delivered their daughter to the camp crew.

Evie's eyes landed on curious children looking out the windows. Since her hands were full with Annabelle, her mother had her suitcase.

The bus's door hissed open, and out stepped the old driver. He wore a baseball cap on his head and a short-sleeved top. Across it were the words Paperblank Adventures. In his hand was a clipboard. The man smiled at Evie. "Are you Evie Amanda Madison?"

"I am! You're here! I'm here! And my parents are here!" Evie felt her father's strong hands clamp down on her shoulders.

"We apologize about her, sir. She's just a little excited," he said.

"Oh, it's totally fine," the man replied. He held his clipboard out to the adults. "Now, I just need one of you to sign here."

"I've got it," Keegan stated. Releasing Evie's shoulders, he accepted the clipboard.

Her eyes rolled over to the bus's open door, just in time to see another figure exit it. One look at him and Evie blushed.

Mateo liked to meet the campers early. After all, he was a curious, young man. Dressed nicely in his pink, Mexican-like jacket, he lifted his hand and waved at her.

Evie wasn't the only one who lost her mind over him; her mother did, too. "Oh my God!" She shoved past Evie and gestured at Mateo. "Who's this fine young man?"

The bus driver chuckled. He placed his arm over Mateo's shoulders. "This is Mr. Mateo. He's one of the counselors."

Charlotte chewed her nails and openly admitted, "He's gorgeous!"

Snap! Poor Keegan ended up breaking the pencil he was using to sign the clipboard.

Charlotte quickly corrected herself. "I mean... It's nice to see the youth want to be counselors these days."