Chapter 19: One with Nature

Song: "Themyscira" - Hans Zimmer

        Evie had a slight cramp the next morning. The faded pain pinched her gut. She wondered if it was the result of something she ate. She kicked her sleeping bag off her. "Good morning, Euphorbia," she whispered to the fairy.

Euphorbia yawned. She looked a little better today than she did yesterday, thanks to the moon's rays. Her dress was still pale, but it was no longer white. She could also finally fly a little bit after sixty long years.

Evie offered the fairy her hands. She fluttered into them. "How are you feeling?" Evie wanted to know. She dropped one hand and patted her belly.

"Wake up, campers!" Mateo's voice startled her, as well as her friends. He appeared at the ladder's top. Well, at least he didn't sleep in again. "Our first lesson is today," he explained. Evie was relieved to see that he looked a little better, too. What happened the day before with him was scary.

The young man was already dressed. His new, matador-like jacket was blue with gold lace. He definitely had a way with fashion. Although, Evie kind of missed his ranger uniform. She noticed he still wore a glove over his right hand.

The camp tried to have the Brook and Madison families eat together at breakfast, as an attempt to rebuild trust. Evie's group members and Sam were momentarily stuck with Mr. Jenkins. The dining area had been rebuilt after John destroyed it. For the most part, everybody serving themselves looked happy. Mr. Jenkins, though, acted a little weird around Sam.

The seventy-year-old man gasped. He scanned the young boy up and down like a laser and quietly asked, "Sam?"

Sam set his fork down on his waffle. He sipped his orange juice. "Why are you looking at me like that?"

Ashlynn, Emrys, Amanda, Tate, and Mr. Jenkins' group members confusingly watched the awkward moment.

"We were friends sixty years ago," Mr. Jenkins explained. "Don't you remember?"

Sam shook his head. "I'm sorry, sir, but I've never seen you before." He looked at his reflection in his fork.

Ms. Julie paced back and forth behind her campers. She kept a close eye on them.

Mateo and Evie's breakfast with their family members did not go well. They shared a long wooden table, in which each party sat on either side of it. A china bowl filled with fruit separated them. They were near the buffet table and under a cluster of lights.

Mateo's exhaustion showed. He almost nodded off multiple times. Eventually, he could do no more. His face fell right into his bowl of cinnamon oatmeal. Plop! Bits of it scattered around the table.

Keegan burst out laughing. "Oh, this is the best thing I've seen all morning," he said.

"Mateo!" Maria quickly pulled Mateo's head out of the bowl. She picked up her napkin and rubbed the oatmeal off his tan cheeks. She temporarily felt his forehead. She sighed, relieved. At least he didn't have a fever anymore.

"I need coffee," Mateo said. However, coffee did not help. He was too tired. He closed his eyes and clutched the bridge of his nose. What started as exhaustion had turned into a searing headache.

Maria took his hand. "You okay, babe?" she inquired.

"Yeah, I'm fine." Mateo lowered his arm, sighing deeply.

Ms. Brook glared at Charlotte and Keegan. "I told you he was exhausted."

Where things went wrong was when Evie discovered the reason behind her cramp. She felt something wet on her chair. The little girl lowered her silverware. She looked down and blushed. "Oh my God. Um... Mom?" Evie cleared her throat.