Chapter 12: Secret of the Forest

Song: "Walking in the Air" - Chloe Agnew

        The witch doctor opened a door at the back of the hospital's lobby. Her patients' room was outside because she believed sunlight healed the weary. The ledge had a soft, bed-like mat, and a few unlit candles surrounded it. There was a wonderful view of the Paperblank Forest.

Sam sat cross-legged in the center of the mat. He looked much better than he did the night before. Eyes closed, he listened to the forest. His arm was in a sling.

The witch doctor gestured for the camp crew to stop. She approached Sam's back and said, "Dear child, there are some friends here to pick you up."

"Really, Evergreen?" Momentarily, Sam thought he was back in his own time. He opened his eyes. At the sight of Evie and her friends, his smile vanished. "Oh, it's them."

Evie glared. She moved in on the boy and asked, "What kind of greeting is that?"

Evergreen held her staff up to her chest. "At ease, child. The boy is still recovering." She lowered it. "Now, Sam, until we can get you back to your own time, the camp has agreed to take care of you." She winked. "Trust me."

Sam smiled. "You know I do, Evergreen. After all, you saved me."

Ashlynn crossed her arms. "Um, not to be Captain Obvious here, but who exactly is he?"

"Ah, I'm glad you asked." Evergreen gestured everybody over to Sam's mat. "Let's come together, children."

The children gave her a funny look, but they complied. They pushed through the candles and joined Sam and Evergreen.

Mateo and Evie sat shoulder to shoulder.

John followed, but he stayed well behind the mat. He lifted his foot to get comfortable. Warm, summer air ruffled his feathers, but then the zephyr died.

"Now, Sam." Evergreen glanced at him. "I have something that belongs to you. Autumn trusted me with it sixty years ago."

Sam, the children, John, and Mateo watched, intrigued.

Evergreen waved her staff in small circles. Sparks of magic leaped out from the skull. They looked like firecrackers. The sparks came together and took on the form of a bag–the bag Sam had with him the day he disappeared.

He recognized the leather satchel and plucked it from the sky. "My bag." Sam opened it. He dug through it and pulled out his sketchbook.

"You've been gone for sixty years, little boy," Evergreen explained.

Evie and her friends looked shocked, but Mateo and John merely nodded.

Evergreen peered over her shoulder at them. "Legend has it that the Green Guardian trapped a little boy in time sixty years ago. Only two people could bring him back." Her eyes rolled over to Evie and Mateo. "The Pebble Masters."

"But why us?" Evie clutched her heart. "Mateo and I have never met before."

Evergreen smirked. "And whose fault is that?" She tapped Evie and Mateo's noses with her staff. "Why, y'all don't know who you are."

Evie and Mateo did not like those words. Both shivered.

All eyes landed on them. The silence went on for an excruciatingly long time.

Evergreen brought her staff back to her care. She propped her head up on the skull. "You two have a connection that dates as far back as when Mr. Sam vanished."