Chapter 40: Pinta's First Ranger

Song: "We Could Have Been Brothers" - Oliver Shanti and Friends

        Crystal landed in front of Edger's hut. She startled Evie's friends.

Ashlynn's eyes widened. "Crystal, is that you?" She inched closer to the newborn alicorn. "Evie, how are you riding her?" There was some jealousy in her voice.

Evie shook her head. "Not now, Ashlynn. We're in big trouble."

"What's wrong?" Ashlynn asked. She shut down when yelling emerged from over the top of a hill in front of her and her group members.

The undead army, led by Ben and Fororli, pointed their swords, crossbows, spears, and axes at the cabin.

"He's in there!" Ben said, his red eyes flickering.

"Destroy the village," ordered Fororli, "but bring me the new Guardian alive." He had a nasty plan in his head of who was going to kill him–Benjamin himself.

Evie pointed at the army. In a sarcastic voice, she said, "That's what's wrong."

Seranet's villagers took off in flight. The pixies hid in flower buds. They covered themselves with petals.

***

"We need to get Mateo out of here," Ranger Krysta said when she saw the enemy outside his window. She glanced at Edger. "Edger, do you have a stretcher?"

"I do." Edger nodded and fluttered out of the room, leaving a trail of fairy dust behind. He returned shortly with Notmuth and Diana, who helped him with a cloth stretcher. It was reminiscent of stretchers used on the battlefield during war.

Krysta worked together with Maria and Charlotte to put Mateo on it. They took over for Edger, Notmuth, and Diana. Edger tossed Mateo's blanket over his shivering body. It only covered him from his shoulders to the bottoms of his legs. His bare feet were free.

Maria, who was at the foot end of the stretcher, playfully tickled his toes. At her touch, Mateo curled them. "Just hang in there," Maria said.

"Come with me," Edger spoke.

The hunter's ghost attempted to communicate with Keegan again. "What are you doing? Take the boy from them. Fororli is expecting him."

"Argh! Stop it! Stop it!" Keegan begged, reaching for his head.

Charlotte noticed his struggle. "Keegan, fight him. Please." She carefully pushed the stretcher through the room's doorway. She gulped when Mateo coughed under his mask.

The front door to Edger's hut flew open, revealing Evie and her friends.

"They're here for Mateo," Evie explained.

Krysta gave her a quick nod. "We know they are."

Evie gestured at her and her friends. "We'll keep them distracted. You guys get him to safety. We'll be right behind you."

Charlotte sniffed a little. Why was her daughter so brave? She was much braver than her. "Please be careful," she whimpered.

"We will," Evie promised. She gave her friends a gentle push outside. "Come on, guys."

They saluted at her. "As you wish, General Evie."

Edger escorted the adults, Diana, and Notmuth out the cabin's back door. They carried Mateo toward the massive woods behind it, as well as another one of Seranet's crystalline waterfalls.