Chapter 39: The Return of Ben

Sam dug his heels into the basilisk's cheeks. With a smile on his face, he laughed. "Faster! Faster!" He, Evie, and Charlotte were having a ball–the most fun since everything turned so awful.

The basilisk nodded at the family members. It, too, enjoyed itself. Its tails moved quicker but remained at a steady pace. It was as if the creature itself had turned into a miraculous motorboat. John, Faelyn, and Euphorbia flew next to both of its flappy cheeks. John and Euphorbia smiled cheerily, but Faelyn remained serious. He could not stop thinking about his son–that sweet, innocent ranger who remained in such horrible shape. Curse that Keegan.

Keegan, suffering from motion sickness, kept his arms around the basilisk's tail. Ugh, could he get off it already?

Ashlynn cupped the side of her mouth with her hand. "Why the long face, Mr. Madison?" she called.

Keegan scoffed, but luckily, the group made it to Seranet's gate before he could chew the little girl out. He side-flipped off the basilisk, landing with a plop on the soft forest floor. He felt like he just fell into a puddle of mud. Wait a minute... He did. Nevertheless, Keegan ignored the fact that he was now covered in gooey, chocolatey syrup. He merely kissed the dirt next to the puddle and said, "Finally!"

Evie and Charlotte slid down the basilisk's back–Charlotte first, and then Evie. Charlotte landed on her feet next to its tail, but Evie crashed into her back. Both of them toppled over like bowling pins.

Charlotte glared at her daughter. "Evie, you're on my arm!"

"Oh, sorry." Embarrassed, Evie got off her. Her family could not afford another injured member. Then Evergreen would definitely think something was wrong with them. There were already too many Brook family hospital visits.

Evie's friends and the invisible Faelyn soon joined her and Charlotte.

John giggled, not only to himself but also to the family, "I'm glad I'm not the only one who's clumsy."

Euphorbia settled down on Sam's shoulder. The serpent–his friend–lowered him and her to the ground.

Sam hopped off its nose. "Thank you," he told it. He meant it, too.

"No problem," the basilisk hissed. "I won't be able to go in there and sssee Mateo, but I'll keep watch out here. In the meantime, you look after Keegan and make sssure he doesssn't do anything ssstupid. We need his blesssssing to heal the boy."

Sam smiled. "I know, and don't worry. I'll make sure Keegan accepts him. I promise." He and the serpent touched foreheads. This was the start of their real adventure.

***

"Whoa. I did not expect a whole party to show up. Did y'all bring the champagne?" Edger smiled sheepishly at the group of ten people, bird, fairy, and fae ghost standing in front of his doorway. It was quite the crowd indeed. Edger only expected Evie and her family members–not her friends.

Charlotte's eyes skimmed the group, and then her gaze switched to Edger. "Mateo needs all of us to get better, both physically and mentally. Right, Keegan?" She nudged Keegan in the ribs.

His cheeks puffed out. "Sure." The sarcasm was strong in his voice.

Edger opened his door wider. "Well, come on in. I have tea and cookies for everybody." His eyes landed on Faelyn, who floated above the crowd.

Just at the thought of tea and cookies (the best combination ever), John's mouth watered. "Ooh, cookies!" he said. As expected, he was the first one in Edger's house.