Chapter 50: Love Conquers All

Three months later

        Maria did not think that Mateo was ready for the wedding, but him being him, he was determined. She could tell that he was worried about his health, so he wanted the wedding to happen merely a month after he woke up from his coma. He was better than he was when the paramedics airlifted him out of the Paperblank Forest, but he was still incredibly weak and tired.

Maria stared at her wedding gown in her small dressing room. The white lights of her mirror shimmered on her five-month pregnant belly (equivalent to seven months in human pregnancies). Maria was almost as big as a house. Isabella kicked like crazy. She was a very active baby.

Maria's cape-like, silky dress reached for the bottoms of her heels. She had curled her black hair to make it look pretty. She flipped the lacy veil off her face and peered down at the flower patterns on the hem of her dress.

Ms. Brook approached her from behind. "Oh, Maria, you look beautiful," she said.

Maria continued to stare at herself in the mirror. "I don't think Mateo's ready," she admitted. Deep down, she had a feeling he wasn't going to be alive for much longer. The doctors already told her and Ms. Brook that his case of tuberculosis was severe–one of the worst they had ever seen. Their words haunted Maria on her wedding day.

Ms. Brook picked up her dress. She tossed some dust off it. "That's why it's only a small gathering," she said. "Mateo will be waiting for you in his wheelchair with the priest. Dr. Marshal is also here. He has an ambulance on standby, just in case. However, I have a surprise for my son."

"A surprise?" Maria turned off her mirror's lights and faced Ms. Brook. "What is it?"

Ms. Brook gestured for her to lean in close. She whispered into the young woman's ear.

***

Evie, her family, the priest, and Dr. Marshal were currently the only guests at the wedding. In total, there were merely ten participants. Maria had no bridesmaids. Her friends did not want to push the guest number over ten. Mateo could not handle that.

Evie's backyard was decorative that cool November morning. Morning hours were better for Mateo. Pink, white, and blue balloons were tied to a few chairs. A few more were weighted down on the small buffet table with the wedding cake. Three round tables sat within eye range of the outdoor fireplace.

Colorful leaves wafted to the ground and landed on the cobblestone path where Maria just appeared. She held a bouquet of white and red roses in her hands and stared at Mateo who, just like Ms. Brook said, waited in his wheelchair for her in front of the fireplace. Even from a distance, Maria could tell he was tired. His head dangled over his black tuxedo. He still could not breathe on his own, so he wore a nasal cannula.

The dying man forced himself to look at Maria. He pushed a bundle of negative thoughts to the back of his head and smiled feebly at her.

The priest, a kind, old man, helped him to his feet. He kept Mateo steady by gripping his upper left arm. His right shoulder was still broken and in a sling.

Mateo's legs wobbled under him, but he locked his knees. He refused to let his illness ruin the ceremony. He was strong.

Since Maria did not have a parent to walk her down the aisle, Ms. Brook did the honors. She smiled friendlily at her and whispered, "It's going to be okay." With that, she took Maria up to Mateo.