Chapter 14: King Benjamin

King Benjamin was Mateo's age. His skin was a little lighter than his, but he shared his black hair, although it was longer.

Everyone in the briefing rose out of their chairs and bowed to him.

Evie knew things were serious when the king got involved. She had never met him before, so seeing him up close was rather breathtaking. Like Mateo, he was quite handsome. Benjamin, though, was not the king she expected him to be.

John offered the young man his wings. "Bro!" he announced again.

"John!" Ben lifted his fist. He and John fist-bumped. John used his foot. "I've missed you, man," Ben continued.

John turned on a thinking face. "When was the last time we saw each other–the Battle of Pinta Mountain? Aw, who am I kidding? I know it was at the banquet we threw for Mateo."

Mateo cringed. He never wanted to hear of that banquet again. He looked over his shoulder at Maria. She looked graceful kneeling to the king. He moved his eyes from her to Ben and said, "Sir, I don't want to hear of that banquet."

Ben chuckled. "But, bro, it was your twenty-first birthday. What, did you do some naughty stuff afterward?"

With each passing second, Mateo looked even more embarrassed.

Evie gave him a funny look.

Mateo got up from the floor and said, "Excuse me, your Majesty. I need some air." Without another word, he left the briefing.

Evie watched him go. Hm, she wondered something.

***

The briefing ended soon after King Benjamin's big entrance. The Brook family, though not happy about it, prepared for their hike to find the Green Guardian. Well, it was a lot more arguing rather than working together.

Keegan said to Charlotte, "We've been married for twenty years. Why did you never tell me you had a sister?"

"Oh please. She's not my sister anymore," Charlotte scoffed. She tightened the straps of her hiking backpack. By that time, the Paperblank villagers had cleared out, leaving just the Brook family, Sam, John, and Evie's group members.

Maria returned from the clearing's bathroom, stuffing her face with some chocolate. She craved it lately. She stopped at Ms. Brook and asked with a full mouth, "Ms. Brook, have you seen Mateo?"

Ms. Brook sat in a chair, as far away from her sister as possible. She peered up at the young woman and said, "No, I haven't, dear." She smiled when she saw what she ate. "Oh, you're already starting to get some cravings?"

"Me? Of course not. This is just a midday snack." Yet, Maria blushed.

Evie was with her group members three rows behind Ms. Brook. The children had adjusted their seats, so they sat in a circle.

Evie tried to find a comfortable position on her chair. It jiggled slightly under her. She gestured at Maria with her head and whispered to her friends, "I think she's pregnant."

"What makes you think that?" Ashlynn whispered back.

"Well..." Evie counted on her fingers. "That's the fifth time she's gone to the bathroom, and she's craving chocolate. Did you also notice that when the king mentioned the banquet, Mateo looked at her?"

Ashlynn waved her hand. "That doesn't mean she's pregnant."

"Oh, come on, Ashlynn. I wasn't wrong about Mateo."