A Note to Judges and Reviewers about Mateo (Also Important!)

First of all, thank you so much for taking time out of your busy schedules to read and review my book. It means a lot. I want to improve this story, so I need as much constructive criticism as I can muster. Nevertheless, there is a difference between constructive criticism and a straight-up bully.

Before you proceed, I want to tell you a little bit about my protagonist, Mateo, who has received so much unnecessary hate in the past. I just want to protect him, people!

He is supposed to be flawed. Mateo is a very complex character, who has so much going on and a lot of room for growth. Likewise, he's one I've been working on for ten years now, so I know how I want to approach his story arc. His character development is supposed to be gradual. A boy under as much stress as he is not going to change overnight. Not all fairytales are puppies and kittens. The Green Guardian is not Tinker Bell.

I've written Mateo in a way so that he is both likable and a little frustrating to my readers. If you find yourself enjoying him but also feeling frustrated about his actions at times, it means I'm doing my job. Just consider these things before you write that hate comment about him. This message is not directed to the reviewers, judges, and readers who have accepted him for who he is; it's just the bullies.

With that said, I hope you enjoy the story!