[[ one ]]

i woke up to the sounds of birds chirping pleasantly in my window, making me want to rip my ears out. quickly following that, my alarm started blaring playing cigarettes & feelings by the haunt, which was my favorite song, but maybe not for long if it kept interrupting my beauty sleep. i slowly sat up from my unfamiliar bed wiping a line of drool off of my cheek and stretching painfully, trying not to crack a rib in the process.

there was a powerful knock at my door, but before i could tell whoever was there to come in, a figure appeared in front of me. "come on davie, you can't be late on your first day," my brother said, politely ripping my cozy blankets off of me.

"oh give me a break jj, i have like 30 minutes to get ready," i said, throwing my pillow at him as a signal to get the hell out of my room.

"yeah and you take 2 hours just to choose an outfit. now get your lazy ass up before i leave without you."

i rolled my eyes at his unnecessary sarcasm, which he learned from yours truly, and put my slippers on before making my way to the bathroom.

i brushed my teeth, went through my minimalist makeup routine, threw on a cute pair of ripped jeans that were definitely more ripped than when i bought them, a white long sleeve shirt, a cream 80s band tee i stole from my brother's closet, some jewelry and some black converse's that had been through hell and back.

(a/n: sorry if y'all don't like the outfit i'm just kind of making her dress like my style, but if you don't like it just change it to anything you want!!)

"come on davie, i don't have all day!"

"coming! just a sec!" i said racing down the stairs with a freshly brewed cup of coffee in one hand and my backpack in the other.

"is the queen finally ready for her chariot?" jj said opening his jeep door for me.

"screw you," i said, kindly flipping him off.

the drive to school was the same as it normally was back when we lived in missouri. jj and i blasted the radio screaming at the top of our lungs and then he punched my shoulder as i stepped out.

"don't forget i hate you!"

"hate you too!" i said as he drove away, heading off to his job at the local pizza parlor.

i stared in awe at the humongous building in front of me. the walkway was bustling with kids who all looked completely different.

"this ain't what it was like back in missouri that's for sure," i mumbled to myself.

"what was that?" a tan kid with short black hair came up from behind me and said. he was a good 5 inches taller than me and he had beautiful chocolate brown eyes that paired really well with his dark complexion.

"i"m miguel!" he said, reaching his hand out to shake mine.

"davina," i said in response.

"you new here? i haven't seen you around before."

"yeah, just moved from missouri."

"oh really that's awesome! i was the new kid in the beginning of the year, don't worry, you'll get used to it," he said lightly tapping my shoulder, clearly noticing how shocked i was by my surroundings.

"hey who's this pretty lady," another boy said, walking up to miguel and i. he was even taller than miguel and i felt like any one of them could crush me like a bug. this one though, although he was tall, didn't seem like he could cause much damage. he had really long arms and he stood with a demeanor that didn't really scream "intimidating".

"this is davina, she's new," miguel said.

"well, the pleasure is all mine, davina. i'm demetri," the tall skinny kid said, also giving out his hand for me to shake. none of the boys back in missouri were this gentlemanly.

after we started chatting a little bit i headed to my first class, which was thankfully with miguel, and he helped me figure everything out. the principal assigned him to give me a tour and stay with me for the day once he realized that we had a lot of classes together and so we got to talking here and there which helped ease the tension i was feeling from being in such a strange new environment.

instead of going to lunch today, miguel helped me get everything settled with my locker and brought me around to look for the rest of my classes that day which was a huge help because they seemed to all be on opposite ends of the school. as we were walking though i noticed miguel had a phone case with a strange looking logo on it.

"hey md, what's that?" i said grabbing his phone out of his hand and pointing to what seemed to be a yellow and black cobra.

"oh that's the logo for the karate dojo i train at, cobra kai," he said and then jokingly threw a punch at the air. i chucked a little at how stupid he seemed to be sometimes.

"you do karate?" i said, a little confused, not expecting someone like him to know a hint of karate.

"yeah, i mean look at me," he said, flexing his arm a little. "i'm all muscle baby," and then he kissed his nonexistent arm muscles. i laughed even harder this time and then quickly covered my mouth, not wanting to make a scene in the middle of the hallway while people were in class. "you should stop by after school today! i'm sure my sensei would love you."

i thought about it a little. i hadn't expected to start karate at a new dojo once i left mine. it had been a second home to me for as long as i could remember and i felt like i was betraying it if i tried a new one, but i guess just stopping by couldn't hurt.

"great! i'll be there!" i said, smiling.