[[ nineteen ]]

i was staring blankly at one of the hospital walls and there was commotion all around me. nurses were talking about their patients, mothers and fathers were bringing sick children in to be examined, doctors were frantically strolling down the halls trying to find out which person was coding and which person just had a bad case of the flu.

"thank you," i heard a voice say next to me, and when i looked up demetri was standing with a couple things in his hands that he wanted to bring to miguel.

"for what?" i asked, confused.

"well i was hiding in the computer lab from hawk and i heard you trying to get him to not kill me and i just wanted to say thank you. it means a lot."

"you heard all that?"

"well not all of it... just a few words here and there, lots of screaming, but i knew you wanted to protect me so yeah i don't know... thank you." demetri placed his hand on my leg and looked longingly into my eyes.

"yeah no problem... you're my friend," i drew out the word a little concerned with how he was looking at me. "and i didn't want you to get hurt, i guess i wasn't very successful though," i said, grabbing his hand off of my thigh and examining a large scrape across it.

"oh yeah, eli still came after me once you left and he seemed even angrier than before. we fought a little, but i managed to kick him into a trophy case and i guess i just got hit with one of the glass shards. it's no big deal though."

"you kicked him into a trophy case? that's badass dem."

"it was just self defense," he said shrugging his shoulders. i wish i could have seen the look on hawk's face when he got beaten by someone as... oddly skilled as demetri who he thought so little of, but at the same time i had a gnawing thought at the back of my head wondering if he was ok.

"come with me we need to get this cut cleaned up and i am not waiting around until a doctor gets here." demetri nodded and the two of us walked off until we found a family restroom and went inside. "take off your shirt."

"excuse me?"

"you heard me, take it off, i have to see if you have any wounds on your chest."

"i don't think i'm comfortab-" i was getting a little annoyed so before he could finish talking i started lifting up his shirt and yanked it over his head. "DAVINA!"

"just shut up it's not like i out of all people would care demetri."

"fine, just make it quick it's chilly in here."

i laughed a little as i looked around his body and saw a small gash on his lower back right above the waist band on his pants. it was already dried up but the blood was smeared a little so i put some water on a paper towel and wiped around it, trying to be as gentle as possible.

"OW!"

"dem i didn't even touch where you got cut."

"yeah, but you were squeezing my arm," i looked and noticed my hand wrapped around his arm to try to get it out of my way to see the cut.

"oh please, you're fine," i threw his arm down and chuckled a little. "i'm done now though, there was only a small cut. you got lucky after what happened to everyone else." i moved to sit directly in front of him now, but then spotted an incredibly large bruise starting to form on the side of his neck. "how the hell did you get that?" i ever so gently ran my fingers across it, moving my face closer to his and causing him to wince in pain a little.

"well don't touch it!" he yelled, grabbing my hand, ripping it away from his neck.

"sorry."

he didn't drop my hand which confused me a little and then before i even knew what was going on he leaned in and kissed me. i pulled away immediately and ripped my arm out of his grasp.