[[ eight ]]

my eyes fluttered open and I stared at my ceiling for a while. i had gone to sleep thinking about everything that happened the other day and i had no idea what was going on. hawk's personality seemed to change every 5 seconds and i had no idea what he was actually feeling. i had no idea what i was feeling.

i knew i'd just have to put it off to the side for today because sensei kreese had a special training planned for us. i had to get there pretty early so i quickly threw on an outfit fit for working out in and headed out for the day.

 i had to get there pretty early so i quickly threw on an outfit fit for working out in and headed out for the day

-

"i just decided to flip the script, hawk-style," raymond, or i guess now stingray said. i rolled my eyes, not knowing why anyone would want to follow in hawk's footsteps, but knew i needed to solely focus on this competition if i wanted to win. i was on the black team with tory, miguel, and some of the other students and hawk, stingray, aisha and the rest of the students were on the red team.

i looked over at hawk and he had already been staring at me. he had a hunger in his eyes different than usual. it was filled with anger, but there was also desire behind his eyes and it made me shudder. i switched my gaze back to kreese and he told us we could start so everyone went off on their way.

i saw tory and miguel go off into the woods together so i decided to go in a different direction and be strategic about things. most people in our dojo would just strike the first second they got, so i wanted to wait it out a bit for when there were less contenders. i was ducking behind a bush when i saw hawk run by and take one of the black team member's headbands. wonderful.

i ducked down a little lower to make sure he didn't notice me and then i lost him to the depths of the forest. as i was about to change locations i heard footsteps coming up from behind me and immediately went into attack mode. i swung my body around and punched as hard as i could.

"DUDE IT'S JUST ME!" miguel shouted, groaning on the ground.

"oh shoot sorry, i thought you were trying to take my headband," i whispered reaching out to help him up. "where's tory?"

"she's out, hawk got her and then i lost him, but i think he's somewhere around here. wanna go look?"

"i was actually planning on heading in the other direction, but i saw him run that way right before you got here," i said, pointing in the general direction of where hawk ran.

"awesome, thanks! goodluck davina!" he said and then he ran off.

i started making my way in the other direction and heard people yelling here and there. i had successfully avoided contact with any of the red team until i saw aisha standing near a boulder off in the distance. i slowly crept up to her, trying not to step on any crunchy leaves and then kicked her from the back. i wanted to put her in a headlock, but i was much shorter and it probably would've backfired. she turned around and met my gaze ready to fight. after a couple minutes of one on one fighting, i gained control and got her headband.