019

real life !

real life !

Aspyn didn't waste any time in dialling her best friends after she had (quietly) shut the door to her bedroom. She knew she would be in bigger trouble if she slammed it— and she didn't want to test that.

They picked up immediately, as if they knew something went wrong.

None of their cameras were on, they simply relished in each other's presence. Aspyn didn't speak at first, but she felt her heart beat slow down at the calming sound of Alex and Karl's voice.

"Hey, wanna see the cool thing I bought today?" Karl didn't wait for an answer before turning on his camera, propping his phone on his desk in his room. He wasn't at his set-up— Aspyn had called while he was just finishing dinner, so he travelled to his room. He pulled out a Minecraft-themed UNO card set, earning a snort from Alex. But the smile doesn't fall from Karl's face. "Don't laugh, you're just jealous, Alex." Karl huffed at Alex's constant snickering.

"You're such a nerd— this is why you have no bitches." Alex laughed, turning his camera on as well. He was sat in front of his piano, his phone propped against his monitor. At a low volume, his hands travel around the keys as he played different tunes. He knew Aspyn liked hearing him play the piano, and she mentioned countless times in the past that music is something that always calms her down.

Neither of the two bothered to ask what went wrong, but they knew something did. A small tear slipped down Aspyn's face as she recalled her mother's words, and she pulled her knees to her chest. She didn't want to make any noise, knowing how thin the walls are. The last thing she needed was her mom barging in again.

"Karl, Karl, Karl!" Alex felt his heart pang at the sound of the small sniffle that Aspyn released. He wished he was there to comfort her.

"Alex, Alex, Alex!" Karl was searching through Amazon, adding random things that he thought Aspyn would like for when she returned.

The two friends continued to joke, with Aspyn listening to their conversation silently. When a knock on Aspyn's door is heard, her heart dropped in fear. Alex and Karl had both heard it as well, and paused to see if Aspyn would answer. And after she heard some shuffling behind the door followed by the sound of descending footsteps, she did.