054

tw: gaslighting/manipulation

real life !

real life !

Aspyn felt so guilty, she felt that it could eat her up inside at any moment. The bright light of her phone screen reflected onto her eyes, shining in the dark room. Her lips were in a tight frown as her eyes read the text once more, and she knew she would have to face her soon.

From Ma: When r u coming home? Answer plz anak.

She bite her lip, almost drawing blood as her trembling fingers swiped across the screen to initiate a call. The phone rang and she brought her knees to her chest, feeling her erratic heart beating against her skin.

A ring passed. Then two. Her mother picked up right before the third ring.

"I was waiting for you call, anak. Tumawag ng mas madalas. When is your flight back? Gusto mo ba ng party sa Sabado?" Her mom's voice was almost emotionless as she spoke. She waited for Aspyn's response, becoming impatient when she didn't reply immediately. "Hoy, nakikinig ka ba?"

Closing her eyes shut as if her mom was in front of her, Aspyn blurted, "I'm not coming home."

It was silent, and her mom had a moment of shock before she decided to respond. "Ay nako, ano ang sinasabi mo? I already invited everyone and planned the food."

Aspyn sighed, tugging at the drawstring off George's sweater as she spoke. "I'm sorry, but there's no use going back for a day. And I'll be with Kuya anyway, Ma." Her voice was meek, and she often felt small when she spoke to her mother. But she wanted to keep her ground this time. Niki's voice rang in her head, she deserved to be happy.

"Your Ate will be upset." Aspyn's mother said, as if she were trying to subtlety lay the guilt card.

"Ate will understand." Aspyn knew this as a fact. She had asked Rhea right when she first thought about staying in California for her birthday, and Rhea was ecstatic for her.

Her mom clicked her tongue, her voice lowering as if it was a warning. "Ay nako, you are getting on my nerves again, Aspyn. Gago!"

Aspyn grimaced. "Ma, I just went home two months ago anyway." She tried to reason with her in a hushed tone, not wanting to disturb any of her friends that might have been in the house. "And I'm almost 22. I'm an adult."