030

real life !

real life !

"When did you realize you wanted to move away?" Aspyn looked up from her sketchpad, reaching over to lower the music that was flowing out of her small bluetooth speaker.

She met George's gaze, who was editing a video whilst talking to her. The small timer on the top of their screens indicated that their call almost ran 3 hours. "When I turned fifteen, right after Karsyn moved away," she started, placing down her pencil to give him her undivided attention. It was just a sketch anyway— a sketch of him to be exact. "But I always kind of looked forward to it, you know, while growing up. I liked the idea of being away from my family, siblings included."

"Like, I love my siblings, you know? Growing up was so stressful for all of us— even Rhea because she felt like she had responsibility over me since I was kind of... ignored? I don't know what word to use," Aspyn let out a small laugh, sighing. "I-it felt so suffocating, like I was being pushed into becoming someone that wasn't me, and when I didn't comply, I was shunned. I feel like I can breath now without my mom on my back about everything. It's like.. I think I learned more about myself, being alone."

George hummed, intently listening to the girl's small rant. "I'm thinking about moving into an apartment," he told her quietly, voicing the thoughts he had been having for the past week.

"With your screams? You'd be kicked out in a day!" Aspyn joked before her tone dropped into a more softer one. "Are the fights getting worse?" The atmosphere changed into a serious one, the calm music in the background clashing in difference.

George shook his head, a small frown on his face. "No, but they're on the brink of divorce." He confessed, recalling the bits of yells he had heard in the middle of the night when they thought everyone was asleep. "It could escalate and I don't really want to be here when it does— is that selfish?" He spoke quietly, not wanting any of his family to hear him. It was 8 in the late evening for him, he knew his sisters would be downstairs eating dinner with their mother.

Aspyn gave him a small smile, knowing how it feels to want to move out to avoid fights. Of course, their situations are entirely different. But the two had more in common than they first thought. "Not at all," she reassures him. "What about your sisters?"