Chapter 52 (Epilogue <3)

Several years later, Fire Nation

Tonight the city was draped in lanterns. Thousands of flames spread across the darkness, painting temples and houses with a redish glow. It was as if the whole world was drowned in a cacophony of moonlight outside my window.

"Beautiful." I muttered, a smile creeping up my face.

"(Y/N)? You're awake?"

Zuko laid up from our bed, his hair A complete and utter mess, wearing nothing but a red and gold robe. His voice, low and sensitive spread a smile against my lips. Our nightly- activities usually rendered him to a deep slumber- impossible to break.

"The real question is you got up?" I teased brushing some of his hair away from his face.

"I didn't feel you in my arms anymore-" he blushed. Even after all these years I smirked knowing how easily I could make him blush.

"I see."

"Are you alright?" He panicked sitting up, "Do you need anything?"

"I'm fine darling. I'm just- reminiscing. I guess I'm feeling nostalgic."

"You- you look lovely in the moonlight." He muttered, red covering his cheeks.

"You're pretty handsome yourself Zu-my firelord."

Zuko shot his face away, "Why do you have to say things like that?"

"Like what?"

"That make me feel like this." He reached over and laid his warm hands on my waist, "C-can I kiss you?"

The stutter was lost in his golden eyes. "Please." He smirked. Soft murmurs escaped Zukos tongue every time I pulled away.

"Before we continue. I have a question for you."

Zuko, clearly still hungry for more sighed, "I swear (Y/N) if you ask me to carry you on my shoulders with a sheet on and pretend we're a ghost im not doing it again. Too many people were hurt."

"One guard fainted that's- barely anything. But no that's not it."

"Go on."

"I've known you for so long Zuko- we've been through so much and I just wonder- did your thoughts about me ever change?"

His golden eyes flared in the soft moonlight,
"To me you were always- (Y/N)- and that was everything I ever needed. Even when we made stupid decisions we always came back to eachother."  He turned his gaze deeper, "I could never have done it with anyone else."

"Zuko- I love you." The words spilled out of me so quickly I could barely register the tender kiss on my cheek.

"I love you too, my (Y/N)."

~

Many, many years later

Three children ran along a dirt path- a remnant of a time etched into the Firenations memory. So much had changed in the years after Firelord Zuko's death. Still, some artitecture and land were perserved to honor the perhaps greatest leader the Fire Nation had known.

"Xiao- give me back my ball!" A boy demanded.

"Never Kai!!" She replied, "You're just too slow."

"Guys we really shouldn't be playing here," the third child groaned, "my mom said these were perserved memorial grounds to honor Firelord Zuko. What if we get in trouble?"

"You worry to much Peng!" Xiao insisted, "besides no one is around anyway."

"Don't think so fast young lady." A voice crept from out of the shadows with an almost mystic quality. An elderly woman smiled as the three children processed her presence.

"Woah an old person!" Xiao exclaimed, "she's like ancient."

"That's rude Xiao!" Kai retorted, "I'm so sorry mam. She didn't mean it!"

The old woman's smile grew, "she's not wrong young man. Besides, old people are quite intriguing.  I should know." She bellowed at her own joke like it was the funniest thing in the world. The kids exchanged confused glances.

"We're sorry for playing here. We didn't know anyone lived around here." Peng blurted out.

"Don't worry. I'm just here to recollect a few memories."

"About Firelord Zuko?" Xiao questioned, a fire lighting up her eyes, "did you know him?"

"You could say that." The woman huffed.

"What's your name?" Peng asked. "If you don't mind telling us of course." He added nervously.

"(Y/N)." She said.

"Like Firelady (Y/N)? Did you know her?"

"I knew of her." The woman kept her grin at bay. 

"My mom said after Zukos death she never made anymore public appearances. " Xiao explained, "she must be really sad!"

"Not sad." (Y/N) corrected, "just reminiscing on a life, and a love- well lived." The kids stared up at her with an unbridled curiosity.

"Can-can you tell us about it?" Peng asked, "if that's not rude!"

"Please! I promise we'll never play where we're not supposed to again." Kai added.

"I suppose I have some time." And she spoke of what the years had taught her, of her great loves, of her great  losses, of the highs of the lows, and of everything in between. But one thing never changed, she was (Y/N). And that was enough. That has always been enough.

The End <3

Authors note- we did it folks! I made this final chapter quite short- for a while now I wondered what I was going to do with my last chapter- after several rewrites none of which I was content with I ended up with going with just a short, simple epilogue  of what I think captured the heart of A Second Flame, I hope you guys have enjoyed this journey just as much as I have and I apologize for the long wait to get here life has been crazy- but this project has taught me so much about writing and the fact it became as successful as it it still alludes me to this day. I hope in my future writing adventures I can capture an audience just as amazing as you all! Signing out for one last time, Goldie <3