Chapter 42

Several years earlier, (Y/N)'s childhood home

I sat staring out at the stars. I had been spending so much time at the palace I had almost forgot how pretty the sky looked from outside our house.

"It's late and I have school tomorrow, I need to sleep or I won't wake up in time." I thought backing away from the windows.

I lit a small flame on a candle and carried it to my room. I soon took notice of the eerie quiet that haunted the halls.

"I thought mom had said she wouldn't go out tonight."

I sighed diming the candle's flow of embers.

It took me 20 minutes gazing up at the ceiling to realize I couldn't sleep. Whenever I closed my eyes my thoughts wandered to Azula threatening me.

"Ahh stupid Azula! Why can't you just be happy and fall in love with Ty Lee already! You're always calm around her."

I stood up from my bed and walked outside observing the flush of vines binding the sides of my house.

"(Y/N)! (Y/N) are you out here?" I heard a familiar voice call.

"Zuko? What are you doing out of the palace this late at night? Is something wrong?"

"I just wanted to check on you, I heard Azula got pretty upset with you today." He frowned, "it's all my fault! She just doesn't like you hanging out with me. I'm so sorry."

"I'm fine Zuko, and it's not your fault that your sister is a wacko. She just threatened me. What do you think happened?" I chuckled faking a smile. The last thing I needed was to see Zuko sad.

"She said she attacked you! I didn't know if she was lying or not. I got worried and couldn't sleep so I just wanted to check. Luckily the guards weren't paying attention so I could get out. "

"Well I'm okay. You're always so protective Zuko... it's like..really sweet." I blushed red overcoming my cheeks, "Come inside... I can make you some tea for coming all the way out here if you want."

"You sound like Uncle... has he been bothering you or something?"

"Iroh just taught me how to make some amazing tea! I don't think that's exactly bothering me."

"It's just hot leaf juice... I don't see what the big deal is!" Zuko spat crossing his arms.

"Oh Zuko... you can be so small-minded! What are they even teaching you up in that palace?" I teased a heavy smirk crossing my face.

"Hey... take that back!"

"You'll have to catch me first!" I chipped dashing away.

"Ugh get back here!"

~

Today Zuko was going to begin teached Aang firebending. I was going to watch, maybe give Aang some pointers when...

"Umm (Y/N) can you come over really quick." Zuko awkwardly muttered across from a confused Aang.

"What is it Fire boy? Oh do I get to help teach Aang! Yay!" I chipped as Zuko took me over to the side.

"Well you see... the thing is whenever you're around I get kind of...uhh.. distracted. Like whenever you smile or something... I just like freeze. So for Aang's sake could you maybe sit his first lesson out? I know that you were looking forward to this but... I uhh... I need to be a good teacher. Not saying that you wouldn't be a a good help but umm... I kinda need to make a good impression for all the times I tried to capture him."