Chapter 19

"Agh... I didn't find anything to eat! I can't live like this... I wasn't meant to be a fugitive this is impossible!" Zuko raged kicking the ground.

"Yeah I couldn't find anything either..." I said calmly "I'm so hungry!"

I walked over to Iroh who was carefully observing a white plant
"Ohhh! What's that?"

"Yeah Uncle what are you doing?" Zuko added standing beside me

"You're looking at the rare white dragon bush... it's leaves make a tea so delicious it's heartbreaking! That or.. it's the white jade bush which is poisonous..."

"We need food not tea! Right (Y/N)"

"I don't know... tea does sound pretty refreshing!"

"I'm going fishing!" Zuko stormed away "and you're coming too (Y/N)! I'm not letting you drink poison..."

"Okay fine mr grumpy " I  retorted following him

~

Fishing didn't go too well... we each caught one tiny fish that was about a bite worth of food.

"Zuko (Y/N) remember that plant I thought might be tea?" Iroh asked. Zuko and I looked at eachother

"You didn't..."

"I did and it wasn't"

He turned around and his face was red and swollen. Zuko stumbled back of stock. I thought I was going to throw up.

"When the rash spreads to my throat I will stop breathing... but look what I found!" He pulled out a stick covered in berries from behind his back "these are baque berries! Known to cure the poison of the white jade plant! That or macaora berries that cause blindness"

Zuko grabbed the stick and throw it to the side.
"We're not taking any more chances with these plants! We need to get help"

"But where are we going to go? We're enemies of the earth kingdom and fugitives from the fire nation!" Iroh exclaimed

"If the Earth kingdom discovers us they'll have us killed"

"But... if the fire Nation discovers us they'll bring us to Azula" I pointed out

"Earth kingdom it is!"

~

We had managed to get Iroh to a Earth Kingdom village for healing. Zuko and I sat by as a woman helped Iroh's rash.

"You three must not be from around here... we know better than to touch the white jade... much less make it into tea and drink it"

"Hehehe opps!" Iroh replied nervously.

"So where are you traveling from?"

Just as I was about to answer Zuko stood up cautiously
"Yes we're travelers"

"Do you have names?" The woman asked cocking her eyebrow

"Names? Of course we have names... I'm Lee! And this is my uncle...umm Moshi and this is my fiance..." My eyes shot straight at Zuko as he said that... did he really have to say I was his fiance? Honestly it was kind of cute... I nodded at him trying not to laugh "my fiance...  Huian"

"Yes my nephew was named after his father so we just call him jr!" Iroh said scratching his rash

Zuko sulked in the corner while I quietly chuckled.

"Oh and the young couple... they're newly engaged! I'm so proud..." Iroh winked "isn't that right jr?"

"Yup..." Zuko said nervously shyly putting his arm around me.

I didn't know whether to start laughing or blushing. So, I was doing a bit of both....

"Moshi, jr, and Huian huh? My name is Suan... you 3 look like you could use a good meal. Why don't you stay for dinner?"

"Sorry... but we need to be moving on" Zuko muttered

"That's too bad... my mom always make too much roast duck"

At the mention of food Iroh grew excited and so did I "Where do you live exactly?"

"We would be delighted to come!" I reassured patting the unhappy Zuko on the back.

~

Suan's house was quiet and peaceful. We sat at the table as Suan's mother brought out the food. I was straving...

"My daughter tells me you're refugees... we were once refugees ourselves " 

"When I was a little girl the Firenation  raided our farming village.. all the men were taken away... that was the last time I saw my father" Suan said sadly

I looked at Zuko.. I could tell he was remembering his family from the way his eyes shifted. I placed my hand on his under the table
"I haven't seen my father in many years..."

"Oh... is he fighting in the war?"

"..yeah.."

~

Night fell... Suan and I sat in the house as Zuko sat outside.

"Your fiancee... is he alright?" She asked looking towards the door

"He's... he's just been through a lot.."

"M-may I go outside and comfort him? If you wouldn't mind.." she asked

"Of course...go ahead"

She nodded and walked outside. Honestly I'm sure Zuko was sick of me comforting him... perhaps Suan would do a better job.

~

Zuko, Iroh, and I stood in front of the house. I don't know what Suan said... but it seemed to effect Zuko.

"Thank you for the duck..it was excellent" Iroh said smiling

"You're welcome. It brings me joy to see someone eaty cooking with such... gusto"

"Much... practice" Iroh replied

Zuko began walking away

"Jr where are your manners! You need to thank these nice people..."

Zuko turned around and bowed
"Thank you"

"I know you don't think there's any hope left in the world... but there is hope! The Avatar has returned." Suan said.

"...I know.."

I shook my head... and followed Zuko.

Suddenly, he stopped by the stable where they kept their animals. Zuko took the reigns of a Ostrich horse.

"Zuko what are you doing!" I snapped grabbing his hand "do you want to get caught?"

"These people just showed you great kindness!" Iroh added

"They're about to show us a little more kindness... well?" He held his hand out to Iroh and I. We reluctantly got on and rode off under the twilight sky. My hair brushed back in the wind as I looked back at the house.