Chapter 15

I stood by Zuko, I could sense that he was tense even more then normal. The Avatar getting away  lingered more and more on his mind every day. You could see it in his gaze. I sighed heavily,
"You thinking about the Avatar again?..."

"Yeah so? It's my mission (Y/N)... how could I not think about it" he crossed his arms.

"I know I know... but you can't let it consume you! You are more then just a banished prince...you need to realize that..you're forgetting what's important"

"Stop trying to comfort me (Y/N)... I'll have plenty of time for realizing when I find the Avatar" he argued.

"Then what do you want me to do Zuko? I care about you.... more then you know I can't just sit here and let you fall into this obsession!" My voice shook as tears formed around my eyes "I came on this damn ship for you!  Don't make me regret it"

"(Y/N)...." he grabbed my arm but I swat it away.

"I need a moment to myself..."

I walked out of the room and stormed through the hallway.
"Who does he think he is?" I questioned.

The metal of the ship's floor clanged under my feet. I was nearly at my room. Suddenly, I heard 2 guards talking in the hallway, just as I was about to ignore them their words caught my ear sharply.

I listened in,
"Do you think working for Zhao will be hard? He kind of has a reputation"

"Can't be any worse then dealing with the Prince... "

"I guess we'll find out soon"

I froze... Zhao? Why would our guards be working for Zhao? I remembered the time I was imprisoned by him. Memories flashed through my head like a torch. I hurried to my room and locked the door shut. If Zhao was on our ship then he would definitely recognize me if he saw my face. Was our crew really going to be transferred to his comand? Zuko was going to be fuming... I went to my bedside and used my bending to light a small candle. I focused on the heat extending through my palm in an effort to relax. Needless anxiety consumed me. Why had I left Zuko like that? If I hadn't.... would Zhou have found me? Is he still going to find me? My head was a hurricane of worries and speculations. I focused back on the candle flame. It's embers raised up and down at my command. My mind became at ease.
I thought back to a similar time

Several years earlier

"Bet you can't catch me!" I bragged grinning widely.

"Bet I can!" Zuko replied zipping after me.

The wind blew through my hair as I raced through the Fire Nation courtyard. The grass felt soft and tender under my feet. I was just to reach my favorite spot, the turtle ducks, when a nagging yell reached my ear.

"(Y/N)!! (Y/N)!! What do you think you're doing?"

Azula.

I stopped my cheeks hot with embarrassment.
"I was just playing.."

"With Zuko! You're supposed to be my friend not his!!" She said Mai and Ty-lee behind her completely silent.

"I-I'm sorry-"

"It's not her fault she doesn't want to play with you Azula! You're mean" Zuko urged defending me.

"You're so silly brother... I'm sure (Y/N) was just taking pity on a weakling like you"

"Zuko's not weak..." I argued trying not to look Azula in the eye.

"What was that?" Azula stiffened her glance.

"I said he's not weak!"

Azula pushed me to the ground
"You'll regret betraying me..."

"Azula wait!" I  begged running after her.

"Get away from me... I never want to see you or your pathetic face again!"

The Ship fell empty. I had successfully locked myself away in my room until the crew left. An unnatural quiet loomed over the ship. Suddenly, I heard a loud banging on my door.
"(Y/N)! (Y/N)!"

"Zuko?" I questioned recognizing the voice.
I opened the door

"Are you okay?"

"Yes...? Is everything alright Zuko?"

"I-I just heard a noise and wanted to make sure you were alright..." he said softly.

"I'm sorry for walking away earlier..."

"I'm sorry for being stupid..."

"But Zuko...you're always being stupid" I joked chuckling lightly.

"Hey!"

"I'm kidding I'm kidding... So.. did Zhao take our crew?"

"Yep..."

"At least he didn't see me... or it would have been bad"

"He knows that something's up.. he saw my broad swords that I used that night"

"Great..." I said plainly

"(Y/N)... do you hear that?" Zuko muttered.

"I hear someone..." Zuko and I ran to the control deck.

"Stay behind me" he ordered grabbing my arm for protection.

"Is your Uncle still up?"

"He said he went for a walk-"

suddenly we saw it. The pirate's parrot. We both froze, but it was to late. My eyes flared with a million lights.

The world thought we were dead. An explosion had completely destroyed our ship and presumably us to. Zuko and I had sustained injuries due to the explosion. We were weakened but not broken. We knew who was really behind the attack. I followed Zuko through the hallways of the Fire Nation Army ship Iroh was now in command of. Zuko and I dawn the Fire Navy uniform as our disguise.
"Our plan is working perfectly..Zhao doesn't suspect a thing" Iroh muttered as he passed us in the hallway.

"You didn't have to do this..." Zuko replied.

"No nephew...of mine is going to stow away on a ship without some backup!"

"Thank you uncle..."

"(Y/N)  keep him safe... "

I nodded

"Someone's coming... stay hidden until we get to the North pole and the Avatar will be yours!... good luck" Iroh ordered

We walked our separate ways... and suddenly I knew the Avatar was not going to be getting away again. I looked at Zuko amd saw the determination in his golden eyes. I let the Avatar get away... I wasn't going to let Zuko suffer any longer...