Chapter 34

For the past few nights, I've been waiting to speak with Zuko. He always left his room around the same time in a cloak to go somewhere. Judging by his urge to stay hidden, I believe he's meeting his Uncle.

I stared at the flowers laid at my bedside. Each pedal seemed to wither away with every day I spent here. It was torture, knowing the person you care about most keeps making such horrible choices but for some reason I still care about him! I needed to hear his voice... I would have to talk to him anyway for Fai's plan.

The palace was still as night washed over the broken sky. I left my room lighting a small flame in my hand.

Zuko stood at the end of the hall wearing his cloak. He must have just got back from seeing Iroh.
"You can do this (Y/N)... just talk to him."

I remembered everything; my deal with Fai, the pain in Zuko's eyes when I wouldn't go with him, how hurt I felt when he choose Azula, but still I knew what hurt worse. I knew I would need to betray Zuko... I knew it was the right thing, Iroh would want me to do this. Something deep within my chest felt numb and cold, my lungs growing heavy under the harsh moonlight.

But I didn't have time to feel bad... the days of feeling bad for that spoiled prince are behind me. After all, I didn't know who he was anymore. My friendship, my trust, my love, he had lost all of it the moment he left Iroh and I for Azula. But I knew that it wasn't true. I knew I still had feelings for Zuko, I can't just forget years of bliss in a couple days.

"(Y/N)? What are you doing here?" he questioned.

I looked at him, his golden eyes reflecting the light of the room. My heart swelled up as a blush lit his face. I had made sure to wear my nicest outfit, a silk dress with fire nation emblems embellished on the front. I know it's stupid but it feels nice to look decent in front of him.

"Zuko, can we talk?" I replied shyly keeping my voice down.

"What is it? Here to tell me how much you hate me again? Trust me... you already made your opinion of me very clear." He snapped crossing his arms. The hood of his robe hiding the pain in his face.

"Look, I'm sorry... I still don't think what you did was right but-"

"When will I ever make a decision that's  good enough for you (Y/N)? You always look so disappointed in me no matter what I do! I'm sick of it. You're supposed to be happy for me... for us..! I tried talking to Uncle... he won't even look at me! And now all of a sudden you come back. I thought you never even wanted  to see me again! I don't understand it... why are you really here (Y/N)? To mock me? Why are you so confusing? Why is everything right now so confusing" he raged hurt simmering in his voice.

My heart sank,
"I'm trying to make the best of the situation Zuko. That's it. If you want me to leave that's fine. Go back to Mai or whatever. " I retorted. I knew Zuko had been seeing Mai the past few days. I don't know if they were actually together but they're definitely talking. It hurt me but I had to live with it. Besides, I have Fai now. Yet I couldn't stop thinking about it.

"(Y/N) please don't go. I'm so confused... I need to talk to you."

"Zuko..." I muttered looking through his gaze, something  felt so wrong yet so right "Just talk to me. I'm listening."

"I think  the Avatar is alive. I'm losing my mind over it. Uncle won't talk to me, I can't sleep, you're mad at me, Azula's suspicious, I don't  know how to feel about Mai. I need an answer but nothing makes sense anymore. I don't know what to do!" He raged.

"The Avatar is alive?" I spat, I thought back to the caverns... Katara the waterbender, "You think she used the spirit water on him?"

"Yes, I don't know what to do! If the Avatar is alive and Father finds out I could lose everything I've worked for."

"But what is it that you're afraid of losing Zuko? Are...are you really happy here? Tell me that this is what you want and I will help you." Emotions rushed through my voice.

"No... maybe I don't know! I'm just so lost..."

"I don't have any answers Zuko. But what I do have is how much I care for you. You'll figure something out... I know you will. But, you should probably get some rest, it's late." I stammered turning away.

"Wait (Y/N)" he grabbed my hand.

"Yes Prince Zuko?"

"Say you'll continue to talk with me after tonight. Please... I need you. Look how desperate I am without you (Y/N)!" Zuko mumbled under the bitter silence of the palace at night. If I had less self control I would kiss him... but of course that was silly. Everything is far too complicated already.

"If you need to talk... I'll be there as support. But as for us... romantically... I'm still not sure where we're at."

"We can figure it out together I guess..." he said softly smiling for the first time in days. His features glistened like embers under my gaze. Our eyes couldn't seem to let eachother go.

"Why do you have to be so handsome and make things so difficult! Oh shot did I say that out loud?" I questioned awkwardly hiding a blush.

"Well, I um guess this is goodnight." His cheeks rustled with color.

"Yeah, I guess so." I added quietly.

Without even realizing it, we both pulled in, our lips meeting against eachother. The whole world seemed to stop for a moment ;Fai, the plan, Azula, everything. But I didn't  care, just let me have this moment.

"(Y/N) I'm sorry I shouldn't have-"

"Don't be sorry Zuko... because I'm not." A small grin crossed my face.

"Then I'm not either." He smirked his face lighting up, "goodnight (Y/N)."

"Goodnight Zuko."