Chapter 26

I sat looking out at the vast body of water on the edge of the ship. I remembered back to when I was on the Fire Navy ship not so long ago.

Sunlight dripped on the surface of the waves highlighting its light blue hue. After we decided to hide in Ba Sing Sa, we journeyed until we found ourselves on a crowded Earth Kingdom ship ready to enter the city. Of course first we would need to lie our way through the immigration system since we weren't exactly from the Earth Kingdom. But hopefully it was all going to work out alright.

"Who would have thought after all these years I'd return to the scene of my greatest military disgrace as a tourist!" Iroh exclaimed with a big smile.

"Times really are a changing.." I smirked turning my glance to Zuko.

"Look around you two we're not tourists... we're refugees" Zuko sneered  before taking a sip of soup which he held in his palm "ahh! I'm sick of eating rotten food... sleeping in the dirt... I'm tired of living like this!"

"Aren't we all.."

"Huh?" I shook my head.

I looked towards where the unfamiliar voice was coming from. There stood a young man... probably Zuko's age.. his skin bore a lovely tan and his hair was a messy brown. He was actually rather handsome. But of course... Zuko was my forever and always so no way that's going to happen.
"My names Jet... and these are my freedom fighters Smellerbee and Longshot..."

One of the people next to Jet nodded while the other greeted us. Zuko coldly uttered "hello" back.

"Heres the deal I hear the captain's eating like a king while us refugees have to feed off the scrapes, doesn't seem fair does it?" Jet complained.

"What sort of king is he eating like?" Iroh questioned.

"The fat happy kind" Jet replied as Iroh drooled, "you wanna help us liberate some food?"

Zuko threw his dish into the water,
"I'm in"

~

"Zuko! I'm coming with you" I stormed up to him grabbing his arm.

"No you're not (Y/N)! Those freedom fighter guys asked me to help. Besides I'm not risking your safety into Ba Sing Sa if we get caught!"

"I thought we had gotten over your need to protect me Zuko! We're a team... remember... turtle duck buddies always stick together..." I muttered my eyes glistening in the dash of moonlight left at this time of day.

"(Y/N)! Gosh don't look at me like that... just stay with Uncle okay? We can talk about this later. I just want you to be safe, I don't know what these freedom fighters might try to pull"

"Okay okay... just promise to bring back lots of food because frankly I'm straving"

"I'll try..." he pulled in for a kiss but I stopped him with my hand.

"Not before you get me food... ZuZu"

~

It wasn't long before Zuko and the freedom fighters came back with a bounty of food. They distributed the rations among the passengers. We organized ourselves into circles on the ships deck. Zuko sat down next to Iroh, Longshot, Smellerbee, and myself with a smirk planted on his face,
"So (Y/N)... how about that kiss now?"

"Hmmm, I'll have to think about that" I grinned while preparing to eat some rice.

"But I thought-" Zuko urged.

"Shh! You're making me blush when I'm trying to eat." I said trying not to laugh. Honestly annoying Zuko was far to much fun to pass up on.

"Ahhh young love... such a fragile but wonderful thing... right nephew?" Iroh commented winking ever so slightly.

"...yeah yeah whatever" Zuko snorted while crossing his arms in defeat.

"So Smellerbee... that's an unusual name for a young man"

"Maybe that's because I'm not a man I'm a girl!" She snorted while getting up to leave, which was probably fair after Iroh's comment.

"Oh now I see it's a beautiful name for a lovely girl!" Iroh exclaimed.

"Welp Zuko looks like you're not the only one upset" I laughed.

We continued eating, the food was actually really good for being well... stolen. Soon, that Jet guy from earlier walked over by us,
"From what I heard, people eat like this every night in Ba Sing Sa... I can't wait to set my eyes on that giant wall"

"It is a magnificent sight"

"So you've been there before?" Jet replied.

"Once...when I was a different man"

"I've done some things in my past that I'm not proud of, but that's why I'm going to Ba Sing Sa for a new beginning... second chance"

"That's very noble of you, I believe people can change their lives if they want to I believe in second chances" Iroh said peacefully.

I looked off into the vastness of the sky. I thought back to when just 3 years ago when Zuko and I were banished from the Firenation. I was so scared and unsure. But now, I turned my head looking at Zuko's golden eyes. Now maybe it was all worth it.