Chapter 21: Dates and Dreams

I felt ecstatic as I waited for Nathaniel. He soon arrived and took me to a nice restaurant. We had decided on just having dinner and chatting since I had homework and he had a morning shift.

"You seem stressed" Nathaniel commented.

"I am a bit. The lesson today was a bit harder than usual."

"School is a pain"

I laughed, "it really is."

"Did you always want to be an engineer?"

I shook my head, "I changed my mind a lot during high school year. It wasn't till my junior year that I was sure I wanted to go into engineering. I fell in love with it after taking a few courses and decided it was worth the headache."

"It's your dream job then"

I found myself shaking my head again. I loved my career and what I was studying but deep down I knew it wasn't my first choice. "It's not."

Nathaniel seemed shocked, "then what is your dream job?"

I hesitated but eventually found myself spilling the truth. A truth that no one knew besides me. "I want to be a mom"

"You want to have kids"

I nodded feeling self conscious. Nathaniel surprised me by smiling, "That's great, I want kids too."

I blushed suddenly at his comment. "How many do you want?"

"I want as many as possible but I'll settle with two so they have eachother."

I smiled, "I want that too."

"Daenerys, I want to make something clear before we go further on. I just want us both to know where we stand."

"I want that too"

"I want to be in a relationship with you. I want you to be my girlfriend. But I do know that most relationships now a days are not like what they were in my time. I believe a relationship is to get to know each other and see if we want the same things in life. If we don't it's hard for a relationship to work. I believe a relationship has the purpose of ending in something greater like marriage."

He stopped as he saw my eyes widened, "Dany, calm down I'm not proposing right now. I just want you to know that if I ask you to be my girlfriend it's so I can get to know you more and share our future goals and eventually if we both are on the same page make something more of our relationship."

My heart felt like it could explode. Nathaniel had just said everything I believed in. At that moment I fell myself possibly falling in love.

"I agree with you. Everything you said is what I believe in. A relationship, at least in my opinion, is to get to know eachother. Learn each other's goals and develop a deeper connection. If both people have the same goals then they can move onto the next step since they both want the same thing."

I looked at Nathaniel and he had a soft expression on his face. We both finished our food and left. The car ride was also silent. He opened my door as he dropped me off at my house.

As always he walked me to my house. "Daenerys"

"Yes?" I turned to face him stopping right outside my house door.

"Will you be my girlfriend?"

A smile appeared on my face and I gave a shy nod, "yes."

Nathaniel returned my smile. He raised his arm towards my head and let his had slowly run down my hair in a soft petting motion.

"I'll let you go do your homework now"

I nodded and opened the door but stopped and turned towards him. I took a step forward being the closest I had ever been to him. I felt his body heat radiating. I softly wrapped my arms around his neck. He seemed stunned for a moment but wrapped his arms around my waist.

"This is okay" I told him as I pulled away.

He nodded understanding what I meant.

"You don't like people touching you" Nathaniel noticed as Mark had kissed my cheek before leaving.

"It's not that. If Mia hugs me I'll return it. It's mostly just with guys. I don't like it when they touch me if they don't have a reason to. Mark and I aren't dating so I believe he shouldnt be able to kiss me like that. Even if we were dating I want to keep a distance when it comes to physical contact. This might some dumb but I believe in sex after marriage."

"It's not dumb. It's what you want and believe and those around you should respect that. Whenever you have a boyfriend you'll know he truly loves you because he will respect your wishes."

My heart warmed up as I thought back to that conversation. Nathaniel has been respecting my wishes.

As I watched him drive away from my window I found myself imaging a future with him.