Chapter 5: Troubled Child

Dany's POV

In front of us stood two police officers, but they weren't the ones we were looking for. The officers that had come were not good looking like Nate and his partner. They were on the older side and not as fit.

"This is definitely not what I imagined" Mia repeated. I nodded staying quiet.

An hour later here we were again, in the same place we had been just two days ago.

"I'm really disappointed" Mia frowned.

"I am too" I turned to face her, "Why didn't you tell me what happened with Jason before?"

Mia looked down to her hands, "He only did it once."

"Mia if he did it once it would be easy for him to do it again. If I had known he had a laid a. hand on you I wouldn't have let us done what we did today. I love you dude, but what we did today was really irresponsible. If Dylan doesn't want to get us out. I wouldn't blame him."

"I'm sorry Dany. You're right we shouldn't have done that." She let out a small laugh, "We didn't even get to see the handsome officers"

As if on cue someone cleared their throat gaining our attention. We turn towards the cell door and saw one of the handsome officers.

"Miss. Abele please step forward" Nate commanded.

I swallowed feeling slightly nervous. I stood up and with slow cautious steps approached him.

"I'm starting to believe you get in trouble just to see me" he said while looking at the papers in his hand.

"No" I said in a high pitch voice. Crap. It was hard to lie when I knew we sorta had gotten in trouble just so Mia could see his partner.

He chuckled, "The evidence proofs otherwise."

Suddenly a thought came to my head. "Why are you here? The police officers that brought us in were different. Shouldn't they be the ones taking care of us?"

He seemed taken back for a second but suddenly asked, "Are you a troubled child?"

"What? No! I'm a good child" I said defensively. His questioned caught me off guard and I felt the need to defend myself.

He gave me a look as I examined my current state. I was standing in a holding cell with my hair all over the place. My white shirt was no longer white. It was covered with dirt and blood. My knuckles were scraped and had dried blood on my finger tips.

For some unknown reason he was always the one to find me here. It seemed like no other officers worked here. I knew different officers had brought us in but why was he the one here. He always saw me in my most embarrassing state, but for some reason I didn't mind. He managed to make me feel comfortable.

I shivered feeling weird at the thoughts that had just ran through my mind.

"Seems to me like you are" he said.

I crossed my arms, "And it seems to me that you're avoiding my question."

He chuckled, "They asked for a favor and I simply offered to help."

I stepped closer to the bars. A small smiled played on my lips, "It seems to me like you wanted to see me, officer."

He took a step forward, "Now why would I want to see a troubled child?"

My smile fell, "I'm not a troubled child, and I am not a child." Okay, maybe the way I said that did make me sound like a child.

He shook his head smiling, "You're right. I wanted to see you."

I could not hide the shocked expression. I had not expected him to go along with what I had said.   Could he possibly be flirting with me? No, he was just messing with me.

Nate POV

I was getting ready to clock out when I saw a familiar face being taken to the cells. It couldn't possibly be her. She had just been here recently. I really am starting to believe she is a trouble child.

Officer Sergio came in shortly after.

"Did you bring the girl that just came inside?" I asked.

"Yeah,  her and her friend" he answered.

"Isn't your wedding anniversary today?" I asked.

He sighed deeply, "Yeah, I promised my wife I would be on time today. I'm going to ask my partner for. the favor of letting me off today."

"Hmm.... Just go. I'll take care of it for you guys. Tell George he can clock out too."

"Really? Are you sure?" I could hear the excitement and hopefulness in his voice.

I nodded. 

"Thanks man. I owe you one." He then explained to me what had happened according to the call and information given by the neighbors.

I got the paperwork I needed ready and headed to see Dany. The girl that had promised she would never be back here again. For some unknown reason I looked forward to seeing her again.