Born Again?

Jisha Slyker awoke with a start. A cold sweat was flowing down her back. Her heart was racing and she was out of breath. She sat up as quickly as possible, causing her vision to falter. She glanced around the room as her condition slowly returned to normal. As Jisha noticed the contents of her room, her shock was replaced by confusion.

*Where am I?*

It was not because the room was unfamiliar, but rather because it was *too* familiar.

Because this was her bedroom for the majority of her life.

*Perhaps this is the spirit realm.*

After all, she clearly remembered what just happened. It would be strange if one forgot the sight of three scorched family members. Unfortunately, she was unable to do anything about it because she, too, had died.

There were plenty of accounts of the spirit realm, and some had reported that you would occasionally be shown your past and sometimes even your happiest memories. This was why Jisha didn't find her situation particularly strange.

She heaved a sigh, knowing that whatever tragedies would come to pass would be unpreventable.

*Oh well, the only thing to do is to move forward.*

As a spirit, there was almost nothing she could do to impact the physical world. Though she was sad, there was nothing she could accomplish by sulking. Even though it was the spirit realm, there had to be something to do, right?

*Let's just explore my current surroundings.*

Jisha looked down at her left wrist where a smartwatch rested. She looked at the date and time.

23:55 3-3-50.

23 hours and 55 minutes on the third day of the third month of the 18050th calendar year on planet Etmos. In other words, this was...

*11 years before my death.*

It was natural to feel nostalgic. After all, this was the day she had stayed up until midnight in order to try the newest VRMMORPG that was released, Synergy. When she thought of this, Jisha couldn't help but grimly smile. Though full-dive VR games had existed in the past, Synergy was said to be the next step in VR technology, as the world would be nearly indistinguishable from real life. However, this was only the surface of the hellscape that would soon engulf the world...

Of course, there were many who were skeptical of the new technology. However, this outlandish claim brought more hopefuls than skeptics to try out the new technology. On the side of her bed was one of the most primitive full-dive helmet models in existence.

Once she saw this, she temporarily shelved the thoughts of exploring her surroundings and decided to jump into the game, where she made many of her memories. But...

*... This is what I used to use?*

The Vbian-02. Its quality was so poor that she would ordinarily glance over it as if it were a piece of trash on the ground. However, 11 years ago, this was a fairly decent model.

There were less than five minutes remaining before the world of Synergy opened to the public.

Jisha picked up the helmet but hesitated to put it on.

*This is ironic, isn't it?*

The "game" that had brought many to ruin. The "game" that had toppled power structures of entire world powers. The "game" that had brought about a new wave a meritocracy. Though it was a likely cause of her family's downfall, she had no choice but to play it again.

*Hah... There's no more time to waste.*

Since the old Vbian was her only option with the little time remaining, she quickly put the helmet on her head and booted it up. Jisha wanted to experience the world for the first time again. Fortunately, the necessary files were already downloaded and preinstalled, so the startup of the helmet only took a few minutes.