Bren's Plan

A/N: Skip until chapter "Level 0 Concerto" if you don't want to read about this side character.

Bren Tchan was more excited than none other on the night of Synergy's release. This virtual reality game had received the most hype out of any thus far. Though the developer was completely unknown, anyone who knew about Synergy *knew* this would be the game to define the new age of VR. In fact, he already formulated a plan with his six friends in order to gather experience points faster than anyone.

*I will have to use my knowledge as an alpha tester to get ahead of the curve!*

The general public knew next to nothing about the game, but Bren had received permission to enter the game as an alpha tester about one year prior to the game's release allowing him to formulate this plan.

The plan was simple.

In Synergy, players would level up to level 1 simply by playing the game for an hour. Because of this, players would gain experience points for doing nothing. Bren also knew about the existence of War Zones and PvP basics, as well as how the leveling system worked. If you killed a player in a War Zone, they would lose up to 1 level's worth of experience. This experience would then be transferred to you. If he killed the people who were stupid enough to walk into the War Zone, he could reach level 1 more than three times faster than the average population.

Bren relayed this plan to his friends over the the most popular VR messaging service known as Concord on the afternoon of Synergy's release.

*>Brent: What do you guys think of this plan?*

*>Allux: Great!*

*>Molotov: We'll definitely be ahead of everyone if we do this!*

*>Adverse: I don't have any better ideas.*

*>Kenshi: As long as we're stronger than everyone we fight, I don't see a problem.*

*>Liuzhi: That's what I was going to say. What if we find someone who can beat us?*

*>Ryozaki: ...*

*>Brent: That should be next to impossible. How long have we been a friend group? And how long have we been playing VR games together? Though we're not apex-tier players, you guys should all know that we're no pushovers in VR games, especially VMA. Didn't I tell you guys the combat mechanics are pretty similar?*

*>Brent: Knowing this, do you guys really think someone can beat all seven of us before we hit level 1? And don't forget that once one of us hits level 1, we'll have no chance of losing to level 0 players whatsoever. On top of that, even if one of us dies, we can just kill whoever killed one of us, effectively loading double XP onto one of us. There are even more reasons why we shouldn't lose, but this should be enough to convince you guys, no?*

After hearing Bren's extensive reasoning, there was a unanimous agreement with the plan.

*>Brent: Great. Meet me in the Uval Hamlet. There's a War Zone there for sure. I know we discussed this before, but make sure your character creation (model and voice mod) is ready to go so we can enter the world immediately. We have no time to lose! Remember! If this plan works, we'll have a significantly higher chance of making varsity on the Academy's team next year! From what I experienced in the alpha test, this game is going to be huge. There's no way the Academy won't have a Synergy team. I wish us all good luck!*

With that parting message, Bren took off his Vbian-01 and got up from his bed. Or rather, "bed" was a loosely accurate word. It was more of a sleeper specialized for the comfort of playing VR games. It resembled a hammock and was much smaller than even a twin sized bed. It was only comfortable for lying down in one position, making it suboptimal for real sleep.