7v3 Ambush

As he entered the world, Bren was simultaneously astonished and relieved.

*Thankfully I've spawned in the same spot, and it looks like the surroundings are identical, too. But it looks so real!*

Bren was optimistic about his alpha-tester knowledge being put to good use; the only major changes he noticed were graphics and sensory updates that made the virtual world far more realistic than it had been a year prior.

Less than a minute later, six white silhouettes appeared one by one around Bren. It went without saying that the rest of the clan had successfully logged in.

*Fortunately, it doesn't look like we needed to meet up at the commons. Looks like everyone made it. Just as we discussed, there are two melees and four ranged characters. Everything looks good so far.*

Though everyone was wearing a relatively plain black outfit, there was a minor difference that distinguished a melee character from a ranged one. On the melee character's top, there was a singular gray stripe that extended diagonally from the shoulder to the waist. On the ranged character's top, there were two gray dots on each shoulder. Including Bren, there were three melees and four ranged. Knowing that these classes would evolve later, Bren was confident that everyone had made the right decision.

"Holy shit! This is a VR game?"

"For real! Everything looks incredible!"

"Indeed, this game is years ahead of its time."

"..."

Though Bren was somewhat in a hurry, he empathized with his friends' awe at the scenery and allowed them to gawk. After all, this experience was more realistic than even he had expected. Though the surroundings were bland with vast plains on the right and shabby buildings on the left, the level of sensory realism was unprecedented in the current age of VR. After a few moments, though, Bren's impatience got the best of him.

"Ahem... This is indeed far more realistic than anyone could imagine, but do remember that we have a mission to fulfill."

"Ah, yes..."

"Why don't we enjoy the scenery along the way?"

With a unanimous agreement, the crew turned to Bren for further instructions.

"Alright, follow me!"

Though the Uval Hamlet was merely a hamlet and supposedly the location of the smallest tier, it was still a couple hundred square metron in size. Since every player's maximum speed was similar to real life, it would take a minimum of a few minutes to go from one side to the other at a full sprint. The fact that there were thousands, if not tens of thousands of hamlets meant that the scale of the world was massive, easily dwarfing that of any previous VR world. As this thought permeated through everyone's minds, the crew was once again astonished at how logistically insane this product was.

Around them were wooden buildings of an ancient era and NPCs that behaved almost like real people. There was a small fountain in the center of the hamlet; this location was referred to as the commons. There was background chatter, NPCs entering and exiting buildings, and good and services being sold. It was almost as if they were truly in another world.

Because of the crew's leisurely pace, it took them around 5 minutes to reach their desired destination.

The Uval Cemetery.

The feeling of realism didn't dissipate one bit when they approached it. Rather, it increased. Even though it was daytime, visiting an empty cemetery wasn't something this crew would normally do in real life. The fact that the cemetery was located on a plains-like area with little to no natural obstructions didn't diminish the creepy feeling at all. These things in tandem with the fact that they were truly in an unknown world made the experience far more harrowing that it ordinarily would be. After all, this was a VR world where just about anything could exist. Even Bren, who had studied this area before, was slightly on edge.