Before Covan's Auction

Auction houses were normally relatively grand locations. After all, items varying in diversity and rarity were purchased here leading to a great number of wealthy individuals showing up.

The same was somewhat true for the Covan auction house. Because it was only a hamlet, though, the grandeur of the building was significantly less than what Jisha was used to seeing in her past life. The building was made of sturdy wood and resembled a fancy mountain cabin.

"Wow, this is pretty cozy."

"It's got a nice atmosphere!"

"It makes me feel like I'm on vacation, haha!"

Most ordinary players had never witnessed such a building before. In modern Etmos, wooden cabins were seen as a strange novelty.

The soft, white lighting was not harsh on the eyes yet lit up every part of the singular room with ease. The room somewhat resembled a theater where seats were lower and lower the closer you got to the stage. There only appeared to be about 10 rows, so it was likely to only hold a maximum of 400-ish people.

The auction house was getting crowded, but did that mean there were 400 players in the building? Not quite. After all, NPCs could also participate in auctions! In fact, more than half of the current population of the auction house consisted of NPCs.

*>Name: Arvinter*

*>Level: 9*

*>Name: Buster Chatley*

*>Level: 7*

*>Name: Quex Chet*

*>Level: 8*

...

In order to keep inflation to a minimum in a virtual economy, it was important for there to be ways to virtually "throw away" money. At the end of the day, virtual currencies could be created on a whim by the world or the developers. If there was no way to delete money on a whim, the amount of money in the world would increase forever.

NPCs in auction houses were one way of keeping Synergy's inflation in check. The fact that you would have to outbid not players but NPCs meant that more and more money would have to be thrown into a figurative hole effectively destroying the money. The new players who hadn't participated in the beta phases were surprised when they saw this.

"Wait, are we competing against NPCs too?"

"Uh, isn't this unfair?"

"They're a much higher level than us! Of course it's unfair!"

Jisha disagreed with these new players. The levels of NPCs in auction houses were usually fair. If you saw NPCs of a certain level gathered around an auction house, you could generally expect what types of items and rarities would appear. Unfortunately, level 1 players weren't designed to participate in auctions. It was simply too early in the game for an individual to have enough money. The players from the beta test had apparently done their research which was why they had tried as hard as possible to gain capital to snag a couple of items from this "level 8" auction.

*Hmmm... Where's a good place to sit down?*

Though Jisha would ordinarily strategically select a seat, in this case, it wouldn't matter too much. With the three Ravaging Crows at her tail, she easily found 4 seats in a row near the middle-right of the room. As she ushered them to their seats, she realized she had an item that she could potentially sell at this auction.

"I have some business to attend to real quick. I'll be right back."

With that, Jisha headed down towards the stage area. On the right side of the stage, in the dark, there was a door that led to the backstage area. She knocked on the door twice and waited.