24 - Broken

{TW: Death and loss of parent. I know that this TW seems unnecessary but I know that a lot of people are affected by this and especially the pain of having to suffer the loss of a parent. If this applies to you, you don't have to suffer alone and my messages are always open <3 }

"Sarin."

Sarin stared at me with ice cold eyes, the moonlight illuminating his wrinkled face as it spilled through the gaps in the blinds draped over the window. He hoisted his legs over the side of the dingy grey bed to face me, a twisted grin crawling upon his chapped lips as he stared me dead in the eyes. I noticed that in the time he had been here, he had somehow aged as his hair seemed more thin, wispier and whiter than usual. Jumping a little from the prison door sliding closed behind me, I nervously grab my thumb and squeeze it as I took slow steps toward the man, who's presence alone disgusted and made me angry.

"Why are you here. Surely you don't want to humiliate me further, Princess," Sarin said tiredly, pushing his whitened hair from the his eyes.

"Actually... in your absence I became the Queen," I correct him, trying my best authoritative voice out on him. I squeezed my thumb tighter in my closed fist as his grin morphed into a low, drained laugh, baring his yellowed teeth to me.

"I guess that congratulations are in order, my child." Sarin sighed and looked into my eyes, a glimmer of humanity appearing in them for a moment. I felt myself tense up a little from his strange behaviour and I raise my eyebrow, stepping closer to him as the moonlight spilled out on me, drenching my gown in white light.

"You're taking this strangely well-" I say to him, my voice tailing off at the end due to my uncertainty as I watch Sarin shoot me another toothy grin.

He chuckled at me, shaking his head, "Well that was ultimately the plan, was it not? I was actually in the process of scheduling your coronation earlier, but then of course, your little Jedi lapdogs arrested me for a crime I didn't even commit."

Ouch.

Unfortunately, he had a point. As he had previously tried to tell me before, he was indeed framed.

By my dead brother.

I needed to at least apologize; I can't bear to have this weighing down on my conscience for another moment. "Sarin... about that. I know that you and I have never seen eye-to-eye, but after recent events, I've come to believe you. In fact, I know that you weren't the one trying to have me killed."

Sarin widened his eyes at me, obviously also confused by my sudden apology and attempt to talk with him reasonably as adults, "You-you do? Then why the hell am I still in this prison?!"

"I'm going to work on getting you out, and even though you will not resume your role as Senator, I came here for something else."

Sarin sighs and places his fingers to his temple as he looks up to me in exhaustion, "Go ahead, my lady."

I subtly take in a deep breath, reminding myself that this was my last chance of uncovering my father and his identity. Knowing his name and of his role in the Republic was simply just not enough for me; I felt like I needed to know more. My father is my last hope and the last key I have of unlocking a part of me which was concealed and hidden from me all my life.

Sarin is my last hope.

"You knew my father, correct?" I finally get out of the words which felt as though they were lodged deep in my throat, unable to get out. My voice waivered a little as I spoke, but I tried my hardest to keep my composure and suppress the emotions I was feeling at this moment.