41 - We Make A Good Team

{DEVICA'S POV}

Ever since Anakin and my sister had decided to announce that they were now moving up the wedding and Ahsoka had to return to train for the Jedi Trials, Obi-Wan and I found ourselves in the positions of being in charge of planning the wedding. 

Now, only a week or so from the wedding, Obi-Wan and I began finally tackling the task of finding the impossibly rare Solarian flowers (y/n) requested and bringing them back to the palace to decorate the temple with along with also using them to go inside her bouquet. As much as I love my sister, and I promised that I would do anything to make her big day special... did she really have to choose the rarest type of Solarian flower there is?

This unfortunately called for a long and difficult trip into the forest where there was a singular grove that contained the only patch of flowers she wanted in the entirety of our system. Luckily for us, it was a rather cool but still sunny day and seemed as though it would cause us no problems on our trek.

Obi-Wan and I set off for the forest after we had collected a few samples of food from one of the stalls at the Bazaar in Vis, possibly at around noon. The sun was shining down on us in the clear blue sky, the breeze thankfully creating a calm balance to shield us from the heat. It took us around half an hour to reach the forest, Obi-Wan hauling the basket of food with him in one arm as I led the way to the grove.

Fortunately, it was exactly where I remembered it to be. A feeling of nostalgia and homeliness suddenly rushed through my body as I stopped in my tracks, taking in the sight of the flower filled garden before me, majestic trees towering over and surrounding us from all around. I looked up to the sky and noticed how the sun peeked through the vibrant green leaves in streaks of light, the branches swaying gently in the breeze. I found myself fixating at the dewdrops still delicately positioned on the leaves above us, hearing the sound of birds and other woodland creatures scurry around in the wood as the smell of bark, grass and pollen from the flowers wafted through my nose.

I remembered all the times I came here as a child, recalling how I used to sit at the trunks of the trees, peacefully weaving a variety of flowers to make into a crown. Ironically - with me being the Princess at the time - it was the only type of crown I actually enjoyed wearing.

I found myself laughing a little as I remembered how I used to return to the palace after spending a good couple of hours here with mud and grass stains all over my dress and dirt splattered on my face from rolling around in the leaves once they began to fall in the colder seasons. I sent Mother into a frenzy every single time, usually ending in a screaming match between us along with her forbidding me to leave the palace unsupervised and return to the grove again.

Of course, I never listened to her.

It was my safe place.

For me (although it sounds incredibly cringey), it was a place where I could simply just be Devica. Not Princess Anara. Not the future Queen of Solaris. Not even my mother's daughter. Just plain old Devica... and that is how I liked it. To be honest, the only probable reason I didn't run away from home any earlier to try and join my father on Coruscant was because of how the only thing I loved most in the whole galaxy was in that palace; and that was my dear little brother, Ayzel. 

Here, I knew I could always at least feel like I was free for a mere few hours, and not bound by royal decrees, rules and regulations, and especially my mother's crushing and frankly unreasonable expectations of me. Somehow, I always had the feeling that she never even loved me and instead loved the fact that one day I would continue her legacy as Queen, despite my many attempts to convince her to abdicate to Ayzel... which she inevitably did once she had stopped bothering to search for me when I had disappeared.