Coming of Age (Emotional!)

For mandylaren23!

Summary: Splinter watches his sons growing up throughout the years and refects on the past...

*Gives you tissues*

~*~

Flashback: 15 years ago

Splinter stood over the cradle, keeping a close eye on his sleeping turtle babies. They were almost a year old now. Oh, where did the time go?

The wise rat had enjoyed talking care of his four infant sons. After the horrific death of his wife and daughter, Splinter never thought he'd have a second chance at being a father.

He was wrong. He now had four precious sons that he loved with all his heart. They filled the hole left in his heart from his previous losses. The turtles were Splinter's world now.

And, he was going to be a wonderful father...

"I will not fail this time, Shen..." Splinter glanced up at heavens shielded by the wall of the sewers as he picked up his four sleeping sons and blinked away the tears that came into his eyes.

"I promise..."

Flashback: 11 years ago

The four-year-old turtle tots had grown quite a bit since their infantile years. Splinter already missed when they were babies. They were growing up so fast. Splinter felt his heart clench.

"Daddy?" Little Leo looked up at him. "Yes, Leonardo?" Splinter asked gently, kneeling down to his oldest son's level. "Daddy, when can we go up there?"

Leo pointed towards the surface. The other turtles crowded around them. "Yeah daddy, when can we?" Mikey asked as he looked up at his father.

Splinter sighed, holding his tots close. "My sons, you are safer down here, you do not need to leave the lair, this is our home and this is where we belong..."

The young turtles pouted a little at that. They were often curious about the surface and wanted to explore, but they knew their daddy wouldn't let them. He wanted to protect them.

Protect them from what?

Splinter held his sons later, nuzzling them. He wanted them to stay this young and innocent forever. He'd miss when they grew up. He really would.

"I love you, my cubs..."

"We love you too, daddy..."

Flashback: 7 years ago

The turtles were 8 years old now. They each had a mask around their small face and were learning how to train with weapons. They were learning fast.

Splinter smiled as he watched his sons spar with each other. They were already 8 years old...where had the time gone? Had it really been that long since he'd adopted his sons?

The wise rat couldn't help but get a little teary-eyed. His sons were growing up so fast. Soon, they'd be all grown up. Splinter didn't want to think about that. It made his heart ache.

"Daddy?" Donnie saw tears  in his father's eyes. Splinter quickly wiped his eyes before turning to his genius son. "Yes, Donatello?" His voice broke a little, overcome with emotion.

Donnie's reddish-brown eyes furrowed with worry. "Are you okay? You look sad." Splinter held his son close."I am fine, Donatello...just thinking about some things is all...I am alright."