Part 23

Brent was parking the car in front of Matt's school when his phone rings. He answered it when she was unbuckling her seatbelt.

"Mr. Jeffereson, your mother's housekeeper, called. Mrs. Jefferson is in Cedar-Sinai hospital. They want you to go there as soon as possible." Anne heard Brent's assistant said as the phone, mounted in its holder, is on a loudspeaker.

"Oh no! What had happened to her?' She asked his secretary while reaching out for Brent's hands after seeing him momentarily silent with eyes wide open.

"Something about her heart, though she is not in a critical situation. Mrs. Jefferson wanted him to go and visit her."

"Okay, he will come," she answered while holding Brent's hands. She looked at him as soon as she felt his hands formed into a fist and got a surprise when she saw him with tense muscle on his jaw and tightened lips.

She almost shakes her head at the confusion.

Isn't he supposed to be in panic? Why he looks like he is angry?

"Get Matt now, and I will take both of you home before I go there," he told her in a raised voice. She then slowly opens the door and goes out of the car.

She still cannot believe what is happening. Why will Brent take it out his anger with her?

She didn't do anything but told the secretary that he would go where his mother is. He should be thankful to her.

"Don't tell me I cannot talk today to him about the two-month contract near its end? Uh..." She uttered in annoyance.

What else can she do but keep quiet or bear the brunt of his anger?

"Matt daddy has a problem. So be a good boy and don't say anything to him, okay?" She told Matt once she took him out of his school and walked towards Brent's car.

"Why?" Matt, the usual curious one, asked her."

"It is adult stuff, don't ask too much," she told him dismissively, which resulted in him murmuring while walking, " Always adult stuff. Mommy has one and daddy too. When will I grow up so I will know it?"

"Don't grow up fast, " She told him while she raffles his head.

"You always make my hair messy, Mommy," Matt complains, which made her laugh.

It is a good thing Matt did as she said once they are inside the car. He only kissed his daddy on his cheek and then cupped his face with his tiny hand. He then touched his nose to his father and said, "Daddy, I love you."

Anne looked at Brent's reaction after Matt's action. She did see that his face relaxed, and his eyes sparkle with wrinkles appearing on the sides of it.

"I love you too, Matt," Brent then hugged him.

She doesn't know why but the picture of them hugging each other had made her eyes cloudy. Anne turned her back, sniff, and then touched her eyes.

"Mommy, please buckle my seatbelt." Matt's boisterous voice made her wipes her eyes and then turned to buckle him up. Once she had done, she closed the back door and then walked towards the driver's passenger seat.

She felt Brent's hands touched her as soon as she settled on the chair.

"I am sorry earlier. I raised my voice to you." Brent's apologetic voice made her smile. She then reached out for his hand. While patting it for comfort, and then said, "It is okay, I understand."

"Thank you, babe," Brent told her with a slow smile and then fell back on his chair.

It was only then he started the engine.