Untitled Part 9

"Why is my baby crying?" Anne asked the now sobbing Matt whose head lay on her shoulder while holding on to her tight. "Daddy, can you please get the thermometer inside the cabinet beside you?"

"What happened to him?" Brent's voice full of concern made her looked at his direction and answered." Matt is a little bit warm." She answered him while he got up from the bed and opened the bedside cabinet. She then pointed out where she put the medical kit.

Brent handed it to her and sat down beside her and then tried to take Matt from her so she can take the thermometer inside the bag, but Matt refused at first. He only went to him after a coaxing.

It was only then she was able to take Matt's temperature, and once the results show of him having a slight fever, she told Brent. She immediately saw panic in his eyes as he said, " We have to go to the hospital now," in which she answered him in a calm voice, " it is not a high fever, we have to let him take medicine first and if tomorrow his temperature is not average then it time for us to visit his pediatrician."

Once she mentioned the last word, silence reign inside the room as if they just realized that the terms of togetherness are not appropriate to used between them. As another woman already owns that. She got up from bed while telling Brent, "better bring Matt outside so I can let him drink his medicine," carrying the kit, she walked to the door.

She went down the stairs without even looking back if Brent followed and walked directly to the kitchen to prepare a glass of water. After greeting Mrs. Jones, who is making their breakfast, she went to the cupboard and took a cup.

Mrs. Jones greeting Brent and asking what happened to Matt answered her curiosity if they followed him. She listened to his conversation with the housekeeper while preparing the medicine.

The good thing with Matt, he is not fussy when it comes to drinking his medicine. After she fed him with it, he again leaned on his father's shoulder. The whole morning, he spent it mostly on his father's arm. Even though they're going out was postponed; still, they were able to bond with each other. By afternoon, after a nap, Matt's temperature returns to normal.

They were in the dining area, with Matt eating an apple while sitting on her lap when Brent walked in front of them. Wearing a light blue button-up dress and a khaki chino, he bent on his knees and kissed his son, who immediately asked him, "Where are you going, daddy?"

"Daddy needs to go out for a few hours, but I will be back before your bedtime," Brent explained to his son.

Still exuding elegance in his casual looks, Anne can't help but think of whom he is going to met and thought of him being with his fiancee made her took a deep breath.

"Why does she always think of them when it only hurt her? It seems like it was she who had not moved on yet. No, it cannot be. She must find a way to distract her mind. " She finally decides, but his nearness enables her to smell his perfume.

The prominent fruity scent combines with some spices and a touch of vanilla. Those combinations produce a fragrance that made Brent smell so fresh but still reinforces masculinity and enchants her to succumb to her wildest dream, which is to hug him.

"Marie, I have to go out. Just call me anytime if something happens while I am gone." His words, as he stands up, made her realized she had drifted away. Good thing he can't read what is in her mind or else he will gloat on her, knowing she was the one who left him before not the other way around.

She nods her head while he walked away, leaving her following his back with saddened eyes. Once he was out of the door, she hugged her son.

On the other hand, as Brent closed his apartment door, he wanted to go back again inside and to be with mother and son. Only his responsibility as a son and fiance stopped him. His mother had been calling him since lunchtime, which he ignored because he is sure she will only ask about which house he plan to stay on after his wedding. It is so she can start the renovation. As of now, it is the last thing on his mind.