Part 16

For the past few days after that incident in the laundry shop, she and Brent only see each other before Matt's bedtime. By Sunday morning, he was nowhere in sight when she goes out at eight in the morning.

"At eight! He usually should still be on his bed, sleeping or downstairs, seeping his coffee."

She only sees him again at night, and they didn't even talk as he seems like his mind is preoccupied with something, or maybe she was only assuming.

Anyway, whatever had happened the next day after he didn't do as his mother wanted, Anne never knows. All that she is aware of he's distancing himself from her.

"Anne, " Susan's voice made her focus on the present and looked at the person in front of her. "

"My gosh, Anne, what had happened to you? You had been absent-minded lately. Anyway, what is your decision about the party this Saturday? You will go with us?"

"Oh yes, about the party..." Anne looked at Susan's, whose eagerness not only detected in her voice but also on her face, she smiled before answering." Maybe next time, if there will be another one." She then took her sketch pad. Before she can stand up, Susan holds her hands and then said, "What is your excuse? My Gosh, Anne, it is time you can meet him in person, and if he is not available, there will be two singles there."

She looked at Susan with questioning eyes, which made her answer, " That is because one for you and the other for me. I am only assuming there must be available guys for us."

Anne sigh before answering, " It so happened that I have something else to do. The two of them will all be yours, assuming there will be." She smiled at her colleague and then added as she saw her lips pouted to her answer," But I can go out with you on a shopping spree next time."

Susan looked at her with disbelieve in her eyes but only for a fleeting second. Then she said, " Okay, it is up to you if I can't persuade you to go with us, but I will not forget what you had said. You will accompany me next time to have a shopping spree." Susan iterates before turning around to walk to her table, leaving Anne smiling, happy that her co-worker and friend was satisfied with what she had said.

Though she felt a pang of sadness once Susan left, how she wished she could be like Susan only thought of meeting a guy. Then the image of her son's face drifts into her mind, which appeases her sense of loneliness for not being a carefree young adult.

"Matt is the best gift given to her in which she will never regret receiving."

She then gets up from her chair and walks out of the room towards the sewing room to pattern her sketches. Before reaching it, surprised made her freeze momentarily as some people came out of the lift on the corridor's far ahead.

Good thing that the door of the lift is not facing in her direction; She has the time to compose herself. Instead of continuing her stride, she hurriedly turned around and walked back to where she comes.

"Miss Lewis," she heard Mr. Walker called her. Immediately she stopped walking, bite her lip as she remembers last Saturday's occurrence, though she turned around after a sigh, with a smile on her face.

"Yes, Mr. Walker," she answered while looking at the woman beside him.

"Accompany Miss Adams to Mrs. Winter's office."

What she heard from Brent's PA made her almost gasp; it is because "isn't he supposed to bring her there? Why will it be here when she even doesn't know the woman, let alone the purpose of bringing her there."

"Mrs. Winters know already about Miss Adam. I only entrust her to you as Mr. Jefferson called, and I need to go back to him."

"At least he answered what's bothering her, " and so she answered politely, " I will bring Miss Adams to Mrs. Winter's office," and then led the way.