Chapter Fifty- Three- I'm Sorry, What Did You Just Say?

CHAPTER FIFTY THREE

I pulled my knees up to my chest, hugging them tight. I guess that's what you do in situations like this. You hold onto yourself tightly and pray that you don't fall apart. I squeezed my eyes shut for a second and heard Sam quietly say, "I'm going to go and get some coffee."

I don't even think that I nodded. I felt like stone. Keeping my eyes shut kept the tears from falling, I shut then so tightly that I could see colours. How could this happen? Why did it happen? This must be a terrible black and deep dream.

Wake up Alley.

I squeezed my eyes tightly together and felt those tears fall. Just like her. My mind ran towards that black memory and that very moment, it happened.

Mum smiled at me and lowered her cup. "You are so naive Alley." We sat at the kitchen bench, I was still in my red dress from Christmas. Well, I guess it still is Christmas.

I frowned. "Why do people keep calling me that? Didn't you listen? Caleb wants to stop being my friend."

She shook her head. "This fight has been going on for too long. You're both so stubborn and unreasonable it's ridiculous."

"I'm not stubborn." My frown deepened.

Mum laughed and picked up her own cup and my own. She stood up and looked me straight in the eye. "Have you ever thought that maybe Caleb shares your feelings?"

I gave a blank look. "I'm not understanding."

She laughed, "I see the way that Caleb looks at you hunny."

"Whats that meant to mean?" One of old dance partners words popped in my head.

Her bright eyes snapped towards me, her expression changing to a strange seriousness. "He really likes you Alley."

"What do you mean?" I frowned.

"I've never seen Caleb Conners stare at someone the way he did to you." She bit her lip and sighed. "Be careful OK?"

Mum snapped me out of my trance, "I mean he looks at you with total and utter admiration and love."

I choked. "Mum, that's not-" But I stopped mid sentence. Mum's face turned into a blank page before an expression of total  pain took place. "Mum?" It was in that moment when everything seemed to turn into slow motion. I had only really had one other experience of this and that was with Hayden when I had fallen down the stairs. Now, I watched with horror as those two cups fell to the floor. The rest of my hot chocolate spilled on the floor first, the brown poring over the carpet. Till, she fell. Her eyes rolling inside her head and the ground making a loud thud.

"Mum!" I screamed. "MUM!" I landed on the floor and shook her. "DAD! HELP!"

I snapped out of it, the memory disappearing as I pushed it further back in my mind. There were somethings in life that you did not want to re visit and remember.

I opened my eyes and slowly they met his.

I don't know how I knew he was there, he just was.

Without a word he sat down next to me and tightened his arm around my shoulders. I leaned against his chest and the dizziness subsided. I didn't ask why he was here, obviously his dad had received a call and Caleb had heard.

I knew it was lame but I felt like the past few weeks had passed unnoticed, and he was still like a type of rock to me. I couldn't hold myself together but Caleb... He could.

He made everything better.

I spoke without thinking. "I need you." I whispered.

Wow, I sounded desperate.

I felt him freeze, his breath held and I squeezed my eyes shut. "Please don't leave, I need you."

I felt him swallow. It must have been hours but to me it felt like minutes. I captured the memory inside my heart and felt it tighten there. I was never going to let this moment go. Just for one second... I was able to be with him in peace.

I heard him sigh. "I know what you mean. That's why this is going to hurt more." Slowly his arm left my shoulders, I felt the tears prick my eyes before I even met his. How much pain did a girl have to go through in a day? "You know that I can't just be friends with you and pretend that there's nothing there for me."

He said it so casually. That I felt like he didn't even say it.

"I- what do you mean?" I whispered

He didn't say anything but got up and left. I started running after him, down the hallway I nearly fell. I could hear the sound of Sam behind me calling my name.

But I didn't care.

Did I imagine it? What was that?

The elevator doors closed before I got there and his face disappeared behind the doors. He was staring down, while frowning with a pained expression.

I quickly raced down the stairs hearing Sam behind me, still calling my name.

I took them two at a time, silently thanking Mel for making me run laps for cheers. If that didn't happen then I don't know how I would have made it on that last step.

I didn't think about how my legs practically felt like jello and how they protested with each step. All I could think was him. Like always.

I made it to the glass doors and nearly ran into them. Rain was poring outside. I grabbed his arm and made him turn towards me.

"You didn't answer my question." It meant to come out as a yell to let all my frustration out but instead it came out as a gasp. His face was shocked. "What did you mean!" I screamed, taking enough air to scream it.

He looked taken aback but suddenly he was angry. "it's obvious Alley! I can't pretend that I'm not completely and utterly in love with you and still try to be friends, because I'll always want more!"

I laughed a sound that would make a witch proud. "Are you serious?!" I laughed again and turned away from him. "Nice one, real mature of you." It was one thing to make a girl feel heartbroken but to rip my heart out and make a joke out of it?

Before I could start screaming he turned away and started running across the street. Before I could react I saw Sam chase after him, her red hair clear in the dark as she zipped down the street in the rain.

I ran after her, and him. Tears were flooding down my cheeks. I impatiently swept the hair out of my face.

It was only then that I realised the flashing lights of a car.

The rain was pouring too hard for the car to noticed and if it wasn't for the lights I wouldn't have noticed myself.

I didn't feel the pain as it hit me, but I did feel it when I was thrown to the floor. Faintly I could hear voices behind a loud ringing in my ears.

I was on fire, every part of me burning. I couldn't breathe.

How much could a girl take in a day? Clearly a lot more.

___________________________________________________________________

Yeah... I just did that.
Next chaper- Caleb's pov.
There were a couple comments in my last chapter, I'm sorry for there fight to go on for so long but I have reasoning for making it take a while. Look at it this way, It just means these next couple chapters are just going to be more awesome. Plus one of the comments said that it's been fifty chapters and they havent been together yet. My reason for dragging out this story is because I dont think that you can just look at someone and just love them. Love takes a while and it grows.  Just like how I've been growing them together.
Sorry for my small rant.
Stay tunned, the next couple of chapters are about to get really interesting.
xoxooxox