Chapter Five- The Conner's

CHAPTER FIVE

I hesitated before knocking on the door, my fist tightening in the air and my lips pressed in a straight line.

The door opened before I could have the guts to knock.

"What are you doing?" Caleb stood in the doorway, grinning. He had his arms crossed over his chest and leaned on the door frame. My breath caught in my chest.

"Nothing." I said immediately, taking my hand away from the air and shifting my bag uncomfortably.

He laughed. "Well don't look so uncomfortable. The way I hear it, this is your home as much as mine for the next week."

And that's the problem. "Can't believe my mum would do this." I mumbled half to myself.

"Being stuck with me? Terrible isn't it. You're going to have to fight to urge to keep your hands of me for a whole week." He shook his head in dismay, trying to keep the grin from his face. "Of course I could try to be ugly but that wouldn't work. I'm too irresistibly hot."

I rolled my eyes but felt the slight flush on my cheeks and mentally scolded myself.

"Alley!" Mrs Conner's was suddenly behind Caleb, smiling brightly at me. "Please come in!" She slapped Caleb softly on the arm and said, "Invite her in! Don't be rude!"

Caleb winced and looked at his mum with a falseness of shock. "I did! But she just wants to stand there."

Mrs Conner's rolled her eyes and looked at me again. "Boys."

"Hello Mrs Conner's." I felt the blush return and smiled weakly.

"Call me Helen!" She said brightly, closing the door behind me. "You can put your things in Caleb's room. How's your parents?"

"Theyre good, they just left then and dropped me here." I smiled. "Uh Caleb's room?"

"Yes, didn't Caleb tell you?" she gave her son a stern look. "My mother's staying this week, we completely forgot last night when I told your mother that we'd look after you. But Caleb offered for you to stay in his room." My eyes landed on Caleb and he winked.

'With you' she left out that part out but I heard it under her words and very urgently I wondered to myself if it was too late to go with my parents to Australia.

I remember waking up this morning and my mum telling me. It was one of those last minute things were my dad's company bought him there, I didn't want to go but now I was regretting it. As if Caleb could read my face, he grinned.

Mrs Conner's continued, oblivious to her son. "Since we only have one spare bedroom." She smiled. "You can sleep in Caleb's bed and he will sleep on a bed on the floor but don't worry I've told him to be on his best behaviour."

Caleb covered up his laugh with a cough. "Come on I'll show you my bedroom."

We walked up the metal stairs and I couldn't help but notice how modern the house was. The floor was shiny wooden to the end of the hall, where a table sat with white flowers on it. Caleb indicated to the white doors as we passed. "Parents room... Guest bedroom... Anna's room... Cinema room..." he stopped at that door and opened it. "We can watch movies in here if you want."

I peered into the room. The carpet was a glow of white, red walls painted, cushioned black chairs with cup holders, a black coffee table and a big projector on the opposite wall. "Really? Never knew you could do that."

He gave me a look and turned the lights off, shutting the door. "No need to be a smart ass. Anyway ready to see the popular room of Caleb Conner's?"