Chapter Fifty- Silence Is Deafening While Heartbreak Is Unbearable

CHAPTER FIFTY

Theres moments in your life when you really wish that you could rewind the clock.

That moment in life, had to be mine.

I sighed for one last time before picking up another piece of pizza. My eyes landed away from the TV and on my mum who was coming down the stairs.

She didn't look at me as she hitched her bag higher on her shoulder. "You sure that you don't want to come?"

I swallowed. "I'm sure." I'm sure that I don't want you to ignore me the whole night like you have all this week.

The school isn't pressing charges until they have actual evidence of the scene. This whole week I have been arguing for my own case, denying the whole thing. Despite my own parents doubt and lack of belief in their own daughter.

My dad was also using the cold shoulder. "No body is allowed inside this house and you are not allowed outside." It hurt.

Bell ran down the stairs in a flowing pink dress. They were all dressed up in formal wear. My dad was in suit while Mum was wearing a long red dress.

They were going out for dinner with my dad's company.

"Understood." I muttered and sunk into my chair.

"And we'll know if you do Allison." He said.

I nodded numbly. It was never a good sign whenever they spoke to me with my first name. All week it's been Allison, Allison, Allison, Allison...

I didn't go to school this week either, in fear of the look in Caleb's eye. I could bear the disappointed look from my parents, but from Caleb... No.

I watched as they left out the front door, without another word to me. I became a fatty and ate the rest of the pizza in the box, along with my feelings.

Though when I was about to eat my last piece of crust, it fell to the floor because I jumped. A loud bang came from the door which also caused me to almost pee myself and fall on my ass.

Hey, no one said I was some kind of ninja.

Though my mind was definitely on being like Harry Potter (being brave) when I slowly walked towards the door. I hate answering the door when I'm home alone. What if there's been a car outside the whole time and they've been watching till the right moment to kill me?

Lovely, A.

My heart hammered inside my chest as I mustered up my courage and opened the door.

I was tackled by a flow of red hair. "Oh thank god you're alive!" She screamed.

"Sam." I pushed her away from me. "I've been texting you all week. You knew I was alive."

She shrugged. "You could have been the police messing with me, they probably wanted to know if I knew anything. So they disguised as you."

"You think about things too much." I said bluntly and stepped aside. "What are you doing here?"

"Well you said something about being completely bored with your parents gone. So I thought to myself, what would a best friend do at this moment?"

"Leave?"

"No." She smirked and lifted a two dresses from behind her back. "Bail you out."

"Those are dresses, not weapons Sam."

She gave me a face. "I don't need weapons. Your parents arn't here." She stormed past me and skipped up the stairs. "Come on."

I reluctantly followed her to my room. "I'm not going to the dance Sam." I sighed.

She turned around and pouted. "Oh come on!"

"Everyone thinks that I stole the money. I don't think that I'll be able to."

She nodded. "You're right. I should have brought weapons for the school."

"To get past who? Mr K?" I shook my head. "Sam please, just go yourself."

"That's the problem!" She sat on my bed while crossing her arms. "No body asked me!"

"You mean Mason didn't ask you?"

She ignored me. "I need you there! Or else I'll be by myself." Before I could utter a word, she started again. "Plus! You won't get this experience back Alley! It's one of a life time night!"

I gave her a look. "You're not going to leave till I come aren't you?"

She gave me a very serious look. "I will not give up until you are outside this house, looking like a hot goddess."

"And you're sure that you don't want to sit here and eat pizza?" Her only answer was a fierce shake of her head. I gave a loud sigh, "Looks like I'm going to Prom."

I walked up the steep hill, almost falling because of these ridiculously high heels. I tried not to wince at the excited look on Fred's face.

He looked like he just won a puppy or something.

I watched as Sam walked eagerly n front of me. I honestly had no idea why this whole thing fascinated her.

It was terrible.

Sam was wearing one of the dresses that she had brought over. It was a knee length light pink dress. It had various black lacy patterns that slid up the side of the dress till it appeared on a lacy black strap on one shoulder. Her long red hair was styled in long curls down her back.

Sam looked beautiful.

Mason was an idiot to not ask her to this dance. I smiled at Fred and watched as Sam strode ahead of me towards the doors.

Oh yeah, she so didn't want to be alone.

Little snitch.

Okay, too much Harry Potter for me.

"Y-you look b-eautiful Alley." Fred stuttered.

I nodded at his black tux. "You don't look so bad yourself." Now I was really feeling bad. I had totally forgotten that I'd agreed to go to the dance with Fred.

Fred turned a bright red. "Should we go inside?"

I nodded and instantly spaced. Fred didn't try to offer me his arm or anything. Instead we walked up the rest of the hill awkwardly.

Really, since when was this hill so steep?

I was wearing a long floor length purple dress. It was strapless, the first part up to my waste was covered in white sparkles till it was covered with a deeper purple bow. The dress then ran to the floor with a silky and puffy fabric.

So, I might have been a little bit in love with it.

It was the dress that Mum had thrown at me last week. I had to admit, she knew what I liked. I wouldn't have chosen any better.

My long blonde hair was pinned in a low bun behind my head while curled pieces fell in my face. Sam and I had gone crazy on make up. Even though I'd never admit it to Sam- it was kind of fun.

Fred was saying something to me as we walked up the hill. All I could do was nod and smile, I wasn't listening. I know it's horrible but I couldn't help but imagine what Caleb would treat this.

He would give me his trade mark smile after opening his car door for me. (I wouldn't have had to get a lift with my best friend). "You ready for this?" He'd smirk.

My heart would thump loudly inside my chest and I'd give him a weak smile. "Are you?"

"I've been waiting to dance with you since the day I met you." My heart would speed up as he'd lean forward and slowly brush his lips against mine. "I almost forgot."

I'd pull away and smile at the white flowered corsage on my wrist. "It's beautiful."

Caleb's smile would then reappear. "You're beautiful."

"Alley?" I snapped out of my day dream and stared at Fred. He nodded towards the camera that had been set up for couples when they'd walked in.

I gave a weak smile at the camera as Fred stood awkwardly beside me.

Caleb would have placed his arm around me and made me feel... so many things.

I need to stop this.

This is Fred, not Caleb. You need to stop day dreaming about what Caleb would do in these situations.

Speaking of the devil.

Well, Caleb wasn't but his girlfriend was. Which led me to my next question, are they back together?

Caleb was standing next to Mel who was clinging to him. A surge of anger ran through me.

GET YOUR FILTHY HANDS OFF OF HIM!

Mel was wearing a very short black dress. If anything it looked like something you'd wear to a party.
And Caleb... Caleb looked great in a tux. Not that I was surprised in anyway.

Let's face it. The guy looks great in anything.

That wasn't what all made the jealousy and anger hit me, it was the white corsage on her wrist.

It was exactly the same as the one that I'd imagined Caleb giving me.

DEAR LIFE, WHY DO YOU HATE ME SO MUCH?

Before Caleb could spot me though, I ducked my head and sped forward. Fred hurried beside me. The gym (yes, how cliche) was decorated with white and light blue balloons, there was a large area of food which had an odd ice sculpture in the middle and music blared from loud speakers near the front stage where a DJ stood. The gym was full of blue and white decorations and lights. If anything, it no longer looked like a gym.

I looked desperately around the room till finally my eyes landed on a group of people. Sam was eagerly waving at me like an manic.

The two people talking to Sam were Oliver and Mason. I walked over to them and watched as they both smiled.

"Feels like I haven't talked to you in forever A." Oliver said. It was as if everything that happened with Sam was forgiven. But what about Caleb?

"Its been too long." I smiled weakly.

"You won't mind telling me whats happened between you and Caleb?" Ah, that explained it. "He won't tell me."

I licked my lips nervously. You see, Caleb found out about my feelings for him and was extremely disgusted. "Uh, it's a long story." I muttered.

Fred moved from one foot to the other looking around awkwardly. His movement caught Oliver's eye. "Hey it's Fred!" He grinned. "How's it going man! You came here with Alley?" He looked at with raised eyebrows.

I gave an dirty look. "Yeah he did."

"I thought you'd come with Caleb."

"Uh- no."

"Right." He gave me a look. "Because of whatever happened between the two of you." I raised an eyebrow and didn't say anything.

"I noticed that he's here with Mel." I said after a while. My eyes landed on across the room. There was a large group around Mel who was laughing and talking eagerly to the people around her. Caleb on the other hand, looked extremely uncomfortable and like he wanted to run away.

"Yeah." He gave an disgusted look. "I thought he was over her."

Panic rose inside of me. "So there back together?"

He shrugged. "I don't know but it's Mel. If there's just one small possibility of Mel and Caleb. She'll take it." He shook his head. "You should have gone for him when you had the chance." I stared at Caleb, my mind running wild.

I should have.

But I didn't.

Oliver clapped his hand on Fred and Sam's shoulders. Sam and Mason were talking to each other while Fred still stood there awkwardly. "Who want's to get punch?"

"Nah I'll stay here." Mason said and looked at me.

I could take a hint. "I'll stay too."

Oliver nodded and gestured towards Fred and Sam towards the large area of food. I watched them leave till my eyes landed on Mason. "So." I smiled weakly, "Are we still friends?"

He grinned, "Of course." That smile disappeared. "I'm sorry for ignoring you with that fight with Sam."

"I get it Mase." I shook my head. "But you should have asked her to the dance."

"How did you-?" He frowned.

"Just trust me and do something OK?" My eyes landed on Caleb again. "Or it might be too late."

"It must hurt seeing him with her."

I nodded numbly and shook my head. "It's stupid."

"It's not stupid." He gave a look. "You love him right?"

A corner of my lip lifted. "Do you love her?"

He frowned. "I don't know yet."

I nodded as a silence filled us. "What's going on over there?"

Mason's eyes landed on the table I was staring at. "Prom King and Queen votes." He smirked. "You didn't steal the money right?"

I stared at him. "Do you think that I stole the money?"

"You're Alley Sanders, you can't even kill a fly let alone steal anything."

I rolled my eyes. "So who is everyone voting for?"

He raised an eyebrow. "Who do you think?" Mel. "Although, I've heard your name around a lot."

I snorted. "You mean people are actually voting for me? Why?"

"Well, no body actually believes it was you who stole the money." Mason gave me a look. "It seems that you were the only one who thought that you were the nerdy and invisible girl. People know who you are Alley." He shrugged. "Plus all the guys think that you're extremely hot."

"Oh." I laughed awkwardly.

He grinned and patted me on the back. "I've missed you Alley." We walked back to the Sam, Oliver and Fred.

I began to grow worried as I walked over. What if Oliver's standing there bagging Fred?

Hey, he might be nerdy but he's nice kid.

I stopped a few steps away from the table. Caleb laughed at something Oliver said, he looked towards Mason and smiled. Till his eyes rested on mine. I watched as his eyes widened and those eyes ran up and down my body. "I should go." He muttered. Without another word, Caleb quickly disappeared.

Silence followed as Fred, Sam, Oliver and Mason stared at me. I swallowed back my tightened throat and shook my head slightly.

Stop. Stop thinking about it. The DJ's voice echoed across the room. "It's time to get this party started!"

"Let's dance!" Sam shouted excitedly.

She grabbed my wrist and pulled me a long with her. I ended up on the dance with Oliver, Mason, Fred and Sam.

Sam became persistent and made me dance with her, it wasn't till I was slightly exhausted that I pulled away from the group and breathlessly laughed at Sam's dancing.

I smiled to myself as I walked away and towards the punch. Though of course I had to run into the devil.

"I change my mind," Mel said while walking towards me. "Remember when I said that you have no type? Well apparently you do. You're a match made in heaven." She nodded towards Fred on the dance floor. He was swaying his arms around and moving to the beat.

Or against it.

I looked back towards her, "I hope you live a happy life together."

Something hit me then. Anger surged inside of me as I grabbed her arm. "You did it didn't you? You took the money and framed me."

Slowly Mel smirked. "Maybe next time you'll think twice before messing with me. I always win." She ripped her hand away and turned around, "Have a good night Sanders." She winked.

I pressed my lips tightly together and stormed towards the punch table. I drank the whole thing while tightly closing my eyes. All I want is her gone.

Out of my life.

"Great party!" I opened my eyes and stared at a grinning Fred next to me.

"I need your help Fred." I blurted out.

He stared at me, shocked. "What is it Alley?"

"I need you to hake into the school systems camera and see who placed that money in locker."

"Alley, the schools been looking." He frowned. "That whole day was emptied."

"Please Fred." I begged. "Can you check?"

He nodded numbly.

"Thank you." I breathed.

The music in the room stopped. "Everybody gather around!" There was a shuffling sound as girls eagerly squealed and moved forward. "As of ten minutes ago, we stopped our votes. We have added them all together and we have a clear Queen and King." Mr K smiled eagerly at the crowd and held up two envelopes. "And I have the answers right here."

The room instantly filled with a silent tension as everyone leaned forward. "The Prom Queen is...." Mr K paused while grinning wickedly. I had a feeling that he was loving this more than he should. "Alley Sanders." He frowned.

An spot light instantly beamed on me. I numbly stared at the stage.

"Alley." Fred shook my shoulder slightly. "That's you."

I swallowed and nodded. My foot steps felt robotic as I made my way towards the stage. The whole walk felt like a thousand miles. Silence was filled as everyone started whispering to each other.

My eyes met Mel's across the room. Her face was a bright red as she stared at me angrily.

I swallowed back my dread climbed the steps. Someone placed a silver crown on the top of my head.

Oh dear god.

Mr K cleared his throat awkwardly. "Right, and the Prom King is...." Seriously? Why is this happening to me? "Caleb Conners."

I stared blindly through the crowd and watched as the beam fell on Caleb. My heart thumped loudly inside my chest as sweat built on my hands.

Caleb's eyes met mine. There was a lot in that look. Most of it, I couldn't recognise.

Hurt, shock, pain...

Tears filled my eyes and I blindly watched as Caleb turned around. With each step, my breath disappeared from my lungs.

The door left a loud and deafening silence as it shut firmly behind him.

______________________________________________________________

Hey guys,
Sorry for the late upload but I hope that you enjoyed this chapter :)
A photo of Alley's Prom dress is on the side if you want to see what I was describing.
Thanks for reading ! :) xx
votes and comments?