Dates to the Ball

Hello, lovely readers. I hope you didn't get tired of waiting. I was thinking of adding more of Caroline and Remus in the story. I also want some ship names. Any ideas?

Caroline POV

After Athena left with Sirius, Lily and Angie gave me pep talk to ask Ben. Ben is a really nice guy, and I didn't mind his company at all. He's way better than most boys at school and my only shot right now.

It's Friday, so I doubt that Ben is in the library. I went to the courtyard and was looking around when I saw James and Remus walking toward the castle. I turned away quickly to keep looking for Ben, hoping they don't notice me. I didn't feel like talking with them while planning to ask Ben to the ball.

As pathetic as it sounds, I knew a few minutes in Remus's presence and I will back away from asking Ben in hopes that he asks me. I also know that I'm partly to blame. I'm being slightly cold with him knowing fully well that he's insecure. I noticed how he tried to casually talk to me whenever we hang out together with our friends. It takes everything in me not to melt. I just don't know what comes over me whenever I remember how it felt when he was the one avoiding me. I don't want to feel that way again.

"Hey! Caroline!" James yelled from behind me. Shit.

I turned around and faked a smile. James was jogging towards me dragging Remus behind him.

"Hey, guys," I greeted.

"Have you seen Sirius?" he asked.

"Not really. He came and took Athena. No idea where they went, though," I told him.

"Oh, come on! I just got this great idea for a prank and we need him," James whined.

"Well, dinner is soon, I'm sure they will show up then," I said, "Where is Peter?"

"He's looking for Sirius on the other side of the courtyard," Remus said, and pointed at Peter who was heading towards us.

Behind him, I saw a group of Ravenclaws, and Ben was between them.

"Well, good luck with whatever you're planning. I have to go now," I said and turned to leave.

"Caroline, wait!" Remus said making me turn back to him. He looked nervous. "May I talk to you for a minute?"

James smiled widely and grabbed Peter before he said anything and walked away. It was Remus and me now. Last time we were alone didn't go well.

"What did you want to talk about?" I asked him. He rubbed the back of his neck nervously. Did he want to apologize? Explain himself? Or... maybe... ask me to the ball? I suddenly found myself hopeful and held back the smile that was threatening to come out.

"Um... I just wanted to apologize for the other day. About the... argument we had," he said nervously. This is good. I didn't say anything, thinking he has more to say. He just looked at me.

"Alright..." I said.

"So, you forgive me?" he asked.

"There isn't really anything to forgive. You're entitled to your private life and thoughts. It's none of my business if you don't want to talk to me," I said. Shit. This came out bitter.

"No! I do want to talk to you and spend time with you. Why wouldn't I? In fact, I wanted to ask you if... you would... I mean if you want to, of course... um..." he stuttered a bit and I felt that small ray of hope brightening. "How's DADA going?" and the ray vanished along with the small smile that was threatening to come out.