The Game

I swear to god you are my favorite fan. I have a test today but I still managed to write this. Wish me luck and I hope you like the chapter.

Athena's POV

You're my lucky charm.

Was the secret admirer someone on the quidditch team? 

It's Saturday and the day of the first quidditch match of the year and it's between Gryffindor and Slytherin. So, naturally, the whole school was excited.

Angie made it into the team, so Lily, Caroline, and I made a huge banner for her while she was at practice this morning to surprise her. We dressed all red and decided to head to the pitch early to find good seats.

In the common room, we saw Remus and Peter also dressed for the occasion. They will be cheering for Black and Potter, who were also on the team, as well as the team itself.

"Good morning," said Remus.

"Good morning. Are you guys heading to the pitch?" asked Caroline.

"Yes," he answered then eyed our attire, "I take it you all are going, too."

"Of course we are. Angie made it into the team and we have to be there for her," I said.

"Well, how about we all head there together?" asked Peter.

"Sure," said Lily.

We turned to the portrait to leave when Remus said, "Um... actually, I think I forgot something. You lot go ahead, I will catch up." With that, he ran up to his room.

I looked at Caroline and noticed her looking down. She seemed sad. Did something happen? Why was he acting that way? 

We made our way to the pitch and it was already half full. We, luckily, were able to find seats in the second row. Peter sat behind us and saved a seat next to him for Remus, who still hasn't shown up.

Caroline was sat in the middle between Lily and me, so I decided to ask her.

"Care," I started.

"Yes?" 

"My sweet, lovely Care-bear," I said making puppy eyes, softening her up so she would answer me honestly.

"That used to work in third year when you wanted the last chocolate muffin. What do you want?" she asked suspiciously. I saw Lily snicker beside her and glared at her.

"Well, I was wondering if my admirer is on the quidditch team," I said.

"I already told you that I can't tell you, Athena," she sighed.

"Please, Care, at least one hint. There are 7 players, well 5 actually because I know for a fact that it's not a Slytherin, not Potter because he's smitten with Lily and not Angie. You won't be telling exactly me who it is, you are just helping me narrow it down. Please," I begged.

She bit her lip and looked at the entrance of the pitch where the Gryffindor team will be making their entrance. She looks like she is contemplating whether to tell me or not.

"Alright fine! Yes, he is and this is the only hint I will EVER give you!" she said.

Yes! Now, All I've got to do is pay attention and check who will eye me from time to time. Surely he will check if I'm looking. Right?

"Thanks, Care-bear!" I said and hugged her.

"Don't call me that!" she glared.

I laughed and Mason Lee started talking, telling us that the match was about to start. 

The Gryffindor team came out first and flew around the pitch before taking their positions as most of the crowd cheered. while the Slytherins and some others booed.

"I'll catch the snitch for you, Lilypad," Potter winked at Lily as he flew by and Lily just rolled her eyes in return. She didn't insult him, that's progress.

Black eyed me and winked. I gave a small smile back and looked at the rest of the team.

After the Slytherins came and received their fair share of booes and cheers, the game started.

Angie was doing great. She managed to score three times out of 5. She saw the banner we made for her and she smiled brightly, blowing a kiss in our direction. Black was doing a great job as a beater. Keeping other players from getting hit, especially Potter, who is the seeker and the main target.

I'm always trying to look at everyone in the team from time to time to check if someone is paying more attention in our direction. But since we are sitting in the middle of the crowd, everyone is looking in our general direction. So it's near impossible to differentiate between who is focusing on me and who is just looking at the crowd in general.

My eyes keep drifting to Black as he played. He moved with grace. His body, although muscular, is lean. Perfect. What? No! I did not just think that. He is also super fast, he could be a seeker, but he seemed to enjoy what he's doing more. Although he is wearing his signature smirk all the time, I couldn't help but notice his expressions. Every time the team scored, his face radiated happiness, and every time he threw a quaffle or blocked one he looked satisfied and proud. 

Whenever I catch myself staring or he looks in my direction I quickly look away and look at Angie. I should be focusing on Angie more. It's her first game and we are here for her. Lily, Caroline and I, cheer loudly and raise the banner every time she scores.

The game was very intense. Whenever a team scores, the other does, too. The score now is 110 - 90 for Gryffindor. The Slytherins are not slacking though. They are getting rougher as they get more annoyed. They are throwing the quaffles so hard, that Black was almost knocked off his broom twice.

About an hour later, Potter spots the snitch, and the race between him and the Slytherin seeker starts. The crowds on both sides start chanting "catch that snitch", while at the same time cheering whenever someone scores. Our eyes keep shifting from Angie to Potter. We cheered for Angie loudly every time she scored and peaked at Potter to see if he caught the snitch.

Fifteen minutes later, Potter finally caught the snitch! He immediately flew to us and gave Lily a Lily flower. She blushed while the Gryffindors around cheered. This is so adorable.

"Um... congratulation for catching the snitch. Nice game," she said trying to suppress a smile. Potter looked so happy that Lily accepted the flower without insulting him, he looked like he was going to explode.

Black was right behind Potter and flew in front of me.

"Congratulations," I said.

"Thanks. I had plenty of luck on my side," he winked. What?

Before I could think more about it, Remus yelled congratulation to the boys. While Angie flew toward us.

"Oh my god! Angie, you did great!" Lily screamed.

"Yes! You managed to score the most," I said.

"I knew you would do great! Congrats!" yelled Caroline.

The boys congratulated her, too, and Black and Potter complimented her on her skills.

Madame Hooch blew the whistle and signaled the teams to leave the pitch. Just as the teams were leaving, I saw something from the corner of my eye. A quaffle. Heading for Angie.

"ANGIE! WATCH OUT!!" I yelled and caught the attention of the girls, Remus and Peter. 

They saw it, too, and began shouting to get her attention. 

Everything happened in slow motion.

Angie turned around and looked at us, confused. We pointed at the quaffle, which seemed to be gaining speed. She looked at her side and her eyes widened as she noticed it. She tried moving out of the way but was too late. The quaffle never reached her, though, but it did hit something. Or someone.

Black.