Chapter 2: Innocence

Cyrus Azuré

Age: 7

Species: Iridecent

            "You see that Teric, the difference between an Iridescent and Incandescent are the wings," I grinned pointing to the picture in the hard-covered book I held. Esoteric sat in my lap biting one of the many brightly colored books in the nursery. Neither of us were allowed toys. I went on, moving my fingers through his short, chestnut brown baby hair, "If you're going to be king you need to know the difference. We are Iridescents, so we have wings like doves. Our enemies are the Incandescents; they have wings like bats. Dad sometimes likes to call those monsters Demons."

            Teric nibbled on the book, looking up at me smiling. He pulled the book away and said, "Da-monsthters?"

            One of the maids walked in and abruptly picked up Esoteric from my lap. The book he held fell to the floor and I scrambled to pick it up. The maid frowned, "He's too young to understand what you're saying."

            "Where are you taking Teric?" I questioned with concern.

            The maid said exiting the nursery, "It's his supper time," she paused and adds snidely, "although that may not concern you, considering you probably cannot even lift a fork," She peaked her head back in before leaving, "Oh hey, tell your dad tonight is a good night... he'll know what it means." Looking back now, I know that was just one of the many times a maid used me to relay the message to Leo that they wanted to sleep with him.

            "Uh, sure," I said, putting away the slobbery book. I know one day Esoteric will be strong. He'll make a great king. A king a weakling like me could never be.

            "Bye Bye, Cywus," Esoteric said waving his hand as he was taken away. Three-year olds typically know about two hundred words, but Esoteric must know more than a thousand. He may not be able to pronounce some words correctly, but I was proud of him.

            I decided to leave the nursery. Maids, Nobles, Advisors, Chefs, Maintenance, so many people lived in this giant castle, but never have I ever felt so alone as I did as a child. I turned the corner of the red wall and bumped into a boy my age carrying a baby. The first thing I noticed was his black, bat wings. That was the first time I saw an incandescent in real life. An enemy. I opened my mouth to shout for help, but he covered it with his free hand. He struggled keeping my mouth shut as he begged, "Please, I'm not supposed to be outside the lab. My sister got hungry, and I- th-the rations we get are not enough to satisfy her. She's fed now, but I don't know how to get back to the lab. Please, please don't tell Leo on me." If I wasn't so fascinated by his wings, I would have been more apprehensive as to why he feared my father. My back remained turned to my father's madness.

            Leo told me people with skin wings are bad and never to be trusted, but this boy didn't seem evil. Long eyelashes complemented his innocent, dark brown eyes and short, straight hair, one shade off from being black.  My eyes widened when my hands felt his silky, smooth wings. Just like a bat, skin connected to bones. I examined the claw where the wings' fingers connected. I questioned, "What's your name?" Yes, out of all the questions, I asked for his name.

            "C," He answered nervously, "A-and this is my sister V." I looked down at his sister, bundled up in a violet blanket. She looked almost doll like with those big, dark brown, eyes. They can't be that bad.

            My gaze went back to C as I claimed fearlessly, "I could take you back to Leo's lab, on one condition."

            "What is it?"