Chapter 22: Young Love

Esoteric Azuré

Age: 12

Species: Iridescent

It came like a flash. Memories of all kinds with my brother and sister, of the times we snuck out to the ocean, all the times we fought, of all the times we laughed, all the times we stayed up late watching Cyrus's super hero movies and reading books, filled my head. We were so close together.

Cyrus... Lian, this isn't how it's supposed to be. This isn't how we're supposed to treat each other. I want to relive our memories. The ones Leo didn't ruin. The ones I know you treasured just as much as I did.

I opened my newly regenerated eyes; Leo had dug his thumbs into my old ones as well as break my legs; all because I said 'I can't stand to see you tear this family apart.' A cute girl was sitting on my chest, smiling like a fool, with her legs crossed and hands on her cheeks. She was East Asian, with double eyelids and pale skin, as well as dark brown hair, complemented by a doll like face. These traits resembled project C, she even had the same bat like wings of the Incandescent species, so I asked, "Are you C's little sister, V?"

"YEP, I sure am," she nodded, overly happy. I looked up at the ceiling, the vent's caging wasn't there, so that's where she came from. My attention went back to her when she said, "Don't worry, Lian and Cyrus are both alive. I ease dropped and heard everything that happened, so I found you to tell you... you know... what I just told you cause if it were me I would want to know... so here I am!"

"It's a good thing-"

"Lian looks like an anime character with her new hair. Did it turn white from today when she went rouge? She won that fight thing by the way. She is surprising, in a good way though. I'm happy I became friends with her toda-"

I quickly covered her mouth, sitting up on the floor. She slid from my chest to my lap as I claimed, "you have a lot to say don't you."

She batted her long eyelashes, guessing, "Maybe it's because I'm hungry. And excited to meet you. Hunger and excitement make me hungry". This girl is so weird. 

I wanted to make certain, " And you are sure Lian and Cyrus are ok?"

"Yes!" she replied, "They are in Leos lab right now getting fixed up." After she finished her sentence her stomach grumbled. She added on, "Do you know where I could find food? The rations Leo gave me I gave to some of the experiments in the lab because they were sent to the pit after some sort of starvation experiment. I knew they didn't have much time left to live, but I just wanted to give them just a little bit of happiness in this grim world, you know?"

I feel at ease knowing Lian and Cyrus are well. I think I can find them later. I should take care of this girl first. "I could take you to the kitchen," I offered to be nice, "I'm pretty sure we have left over's or something in there you can eat."

"Okay, let's go!"

"... Are you gonna stand up?

She pretended to take offence, putting one hand on her chest, gasping, "Aren't you going to carry me my good sir, I need to conserve energy." I rolled my eyes, putting her on my back. I held her legs while her arms wrapped around my neck. She tugged on my hair a little, squealing, "Giddy up horse-"

"Don't push it," I growled. 

I brought V into the kitchen. The kitchen was large with pots and pans hanging from the ceiling above the long island in the center. Chefs usually prepared three feasts a day. Our family would eat first, alone, and then once we were done the service could help themselves to some food. Sometimes I stayed behind to talk with everyone. During those times I realized how few No wings worked in the castle. They dealt with trash, toilets, and repairs, basically any dangerous or dirty job. Typically, around the world, being a maid was a wingless job, but since my father liked to sleep around, he wanted the maids to have wings. A lot of no wings feared to come to the kitchen to eat. The chefs tended to do something to the food like pee in the soup or hide spicy peppers in it before dispersing it to the no wings. They would laugh along with the other workers who had wings as the no wings vomited from the soups piss flavor or cried from the pain of the pepers.