Chapter 32: "Now we commence!... THE BATTLE!... ROYAL!"

Eve Azuré

Age: 35

Species: Iridescent

That son of a bitch is going to give his speech. My relationship with Leo was the ultimate example of 'I hate you, I love you'. The world was modernized with sky scraping buildings and ecofriendly transportation systems, but the world also preserved coliseums and other ancient buildings. The only things from the past no one kept around and became outlawed in every kingdom were guns and nuclear warfare. We, as in our generation, fight like how people fought before guns and machines did the fighting for them because we feel like it's more honorable to kill or die more personally by and arrow or sword. You could fight using the art of samurais, gladiators, archers, knights, or any other art, but in the end we are all warriors and the only way to survive is not just your level of skill, but the brain that wields the weapon. For this reason no one questioned why every kingdom outlawed guns and most of the people were not educated on guns or technology. Only a select few in all kingdoms were permitted to have an education about technology while all others were prohibited. Most people are not allowed or exposed to even an article or book about a gun. If one were to even say the word gun most wouldn't even know what the word meant. This is all so the government has more control.

I emerged from a limousine at the colosseum holding todays event. As I walked down a red carpet I locked arms with Leo. I washed off the blood prior to the event from my gloves. I killed more maids before the battle royal as a way to relax. The moon was nearly full, but lost a sliver in the darkness, kind of like me. Every night the moon grows darker until it's completely black. Hopefully, when the moon regains its light, so will I and maybe I'll feel full again. Over the years I got used to the flashing lights from the paparazzi, news companies, and the press, but they still temporarily blinded me a bit. A force field, kind of like an invisible barrier, protected us and kept a safe distance between us and our people. My dress was a shimmering gold, which matched Leo's shimmering gold tuxedo. I'm so sick of gold. Following behind us were noble men, and advisory locking arms with their guest of honors. Every thirty seconds we stopped walking and posed with fake smiles as the lights rapidly flashed. I've seen through my children. At such a young age you learn to force a smile for pictures. I wonder if anyone has ever gotten so tiered of the lies they stop smiling.

The red carpet brought us to the giant coliseum. The audience inside paid premium for their seats, and came from all around the world. Little did they know the money would be used to fund Leos experiments. They were the world's wealthiest and enjoyed bloodlust. Both Incandescents and Iridescents were invited. They were divided and kept in two separate sections to prevent conflict. Everyone knew about the Battle Royale and what we were celebrating, but no one knew it was all to demonstrate Lians strength. That would be the hard part to address. Its funny how desensitized we are all to murder. At least we still have some moral where if an innocent person died on the streets or something of that nature we would be filled with anger, however if it were people willingly dying or if the death was a criminal execution... humans loved to watch that shit.

Being the king and queen who hosted the event, we received the best seats. They were at the highest point of the arena, with direct view of the big screen and battle zone at the center. A little over five hundred metal boxes were spread out across the floor, one containing Lian, the rest holding the other warriors. Two empty thrones centered our sons, who were already seated and present. Esoteric was too the left, next to the king because he's first in line to the throne, while Cyrus sat beside me. I took my seat as my husband walked to the microphone.

The crowd settled down, the whole world became silent. Confusion struck them as they realized Lian wasn't present. One shouted, "Where's princess Lian's seat?"

Leo cleared his throat while straightening out his tie. He took out a piece of paper and begun reading, "I know you are wondering where Princess Lian is? Why isn't his daughter here? Why isn't there a chair for his daughter? Well... yesterday Lian lost her wings."

The audience gasped and whispers grew. "I hope he banished her" "He better of executed her" "Wouldn't it be funny to see her on the streets begging with the rest of the filth."

The crowd went back to silence when Leo spoke once more, "I decided to make Lian Commander of our army."

Those in the audience from other kingdoms smirked as our people went in an uproar. "Is he retarded" "She's a fucking dewinged eleven year old girl" "WHAT THE FUCK!"

Leo sat down in his throne taking a sip from his glass of wine. I could hear our citizens outside the arena rallying and getting furious. I guess you got to rip it off like a band aid. I looked at my children for their facial expressions, but they looked withdrawn. Like they were in a completely different world. I looked back at my husband. He crumbled up his speech he worked so hard on. The speech fell from his hand to the floor. When I caught his eye I asked, "What are you going to do now?"

He sighed, "Let them get it all out." Then he reached out his glass of wine to me offering, "Want some. You're more fun when you're drunk and when I go home to fuck the shit out of you tonight I want you wasted."

I glared at him, crossing my arms. I bit my lip for a second, and then sneered, "No, I don't drink anymore. Go fuck one of your maids."

"Oh," he chuckled, arising to his feet and placing the glass of wine on a tray one of our servants held out, "You're going to regret saying that." He calmly walked back to the microphone, crumbling up his speech in his hands. Lian's box opened in the center of the area. She stood up, squinting her violet eyes from the bright lights. The crowd booed and tried to throw food at her but the force field surrounding the battle zone didn't allow food to hit her; instead it bounced off. She feebly picked up her red diamond sword. Something's not right. She stumbled to her feet.

Leo went on, "I'm not going to make her our commander yet!"

Silence finally came back as the crowd relaxed with his words.

He stated, "We all know this battle royal is the best warriors from over five hundred kingdoms fighting to the death to be number one and Lian's here to represent Paramount. If Lian dies, oh well, Cyrus will remain Paramount's commander, but if Lian wins I will have no problem making her commander; and neither should you. Currently we are fighting a war to determine the superior species, not only will this battle give a hint as to which species is superior, but it will also show which king is most suited to be the last king on earth."

The crowd became loud and more pleased with the idea. Although no one had hope for Lian, they wanted to see her suffer. They were eagerly waiting to see blood, and what better is the blood than that of a no wing. Lian caught eyes with me. Even from such a far distance I knew she was looking at me with that great big smile.

Leo initiated, "Now we commence!... THE BATTLE!... ROYAL!"

I felt my body vibrate by how loud the crowd cheered, especially when all the other boxes opened. I'm not hoping Lian lives, but I'm not hoping she dies either. Although I wish she were dead in general, and I hate her very being, I'm indifferent.