Chapter 11: Project V

Project V

Age: 11

Species: Incandescent

How foul, the smell burnt into my nose like skunk spray. Human waste sunk below the garbage mounds inside the pit. All of Leo's undesirable experiments resided here. Most, if not all, were dressed in scars and deformities. Mental illness corrupted most of us. As children Leo injected my family (my brother project C, project K, project N, and myself) with a serum. It prevented all four of us from the same mutilated state; however, our sanity couldn't fully be protected.

As the years went on he collected too many of us, and not enough of us were being thrown away. He assigned my family very special positions. We lived in the pit, separating the weak from the strong. The strong continued to live in the pit while the weak were taken to the decomposition room to be disposed of. Leo would use those who remained in the pit as his test subjects for experiments where the outcome was certainly death. We know what we do makes us no better than Leo, but if we don't obey, then no one will live. Which is the greater evil? There is no way to live, only survive.

I sat on top of a square sheet of scrap metal, on the highest of garbage mounds. My brother sat with his back against mine as we scoped the surroundings. Over the years our vision adapted for the dim, fire lit pit. In just that one moment my eyes witnessed crazed experiments raping, stealing, and murdering one another. Growing up around so much sin desensitized me as a child and now. I told C, "You know, if I didn't have such a sweet brother I may have turned out just as fucked up as everyone else down here."

"Don't talk about them like that," He sighed, mentally exhausted. Before we were assigned our job C was much happier. We all were. Although we were experimented on daily, we were happy to simply have each other, to have a family. But now the four of us are playing God in a game no one can win. He reminded me, "You know they can't help it. They didn't choose to become who they are. They didn't choose to do what they do. External events that went beyond their control decided it."

C believed everything happened for a reason. That no one has control in the world. I looked up to the boundless dark sky, "I forgot, I'm sorry." I believed this too, but it is hard to remember when there are so evil people and their actions fill you with rage. Some people are born being genetically predisposed to certain qualities like genetic disorders or mental illnesses. No one chose to have those qualities. The same goes for location of birth or the family they are born into. The household can be nurturing or violent. Families can be rich or poor. Education can be accessible or nonexistent. The list goes on. I used to argue at some point one is old enough to make their own decisions separate from their upbringing; however, it is their upbringing that formed their thought process and therefore all the decisions they are bound to make. I mean, just imagine me without my family to guide me away from violence. As I grew older I better understood this philosophy. I may believe in predetermined fate, but I like to believe maybe some of our choices are our own. Its a nice thought to have.

The top of my head reached an inch below his wide shoulders. Leo told me his height is likely due to royal heritage, since royals were bread to be tall, at least for males. The same went for his muscles. Although we were equal caliber in strength, these attributes made me feel safer in the pit. I joked, "have I ever told you you are the perfect size to be my human shield? Next time these experiments wanna fight me I'm going to hide right behind you."

He elbowed my arm lightly, laughing, "Who is to say I wont turn on you with the experiments?"

"Hmmmmm," I hummed, "I know you won't because you love me too much."

He remembered, "Although I see N and K as family, you are the only blood I have left. I want to protect you."

I do not remember much, but C told me our mother gave us to Leo. Leo told him soon after she gave us up she passed away. I am not sure what to believe. I diverted the subject by asking about Project K and Project N, "When do you think they're coming back?" During what Leo refers to as a cleansing, an experiment played dead and Project N fell for it. When she bent down to pick up the body, he pulled out a machete from under some scrap metal and nearly decapitated her. As her head dangled from one single vain, K killed the rouge experiment. Neck wounds heal the slowest of all wounds for those given the serum. Head trauma or heart failure seemed to be the only way death could claim us. N gradually started healing, except in some cases we need stitches to heal properly. K brought N to Leo for medical attention.

C stood up, tussling my long, dark brown hair, "They should have been back by now. Knowing how Protective K is he's probably making Leo run unnecessary tests on her." My brother knew I loved K and N. Their story fascinated me the most and I wanted to be present for every part of it. He rolled his dark brown eyes, lifting up my chin, "If you want, I'll cover for you. Go find them. N would be happy to know you're thinking about her."

"Thanks C!" I shrieked, sledding down the garbage mound on a piece of scrap metal. I hope you can keep the pit under control; the experiments seem to be rejecting death more and more these days.