Chapter 40: Best Friends

Esoteric Azuré

Age: 13

Species: Iridescent

I held a picture of me and V from a fair we went to a few weeks ago. I had my arm around her shoulder, and we were laughing as we shared a funnel cake. We were on a ferris wheel with the sunset behind us. We got the couple in front of us at the time to take the picture. When I do become King I want no one else but you to be my Queen. I tucked the picture back in my shirt, and continued to spy on Necrosis.

I flew across the Sea to Sige; I had to be careful no one saw my feathers because Sige was an Incandescent kingdom. A black drape covered my wings. I hid my face with the hood of my sweatshirt. I jogged through an alleyway a distance behind Necrosis until he approached a rundown pharmacy in the cut of the city. Should I say, 'Hey Necrosis, what are you doing here?' No, that's what he's going to say when he sees me. Am I going to seem creepy for following him? I just wanna hang out with him.

A plump man with a circle face and fat stored in his neck closed down the pharmacy just as we arrived. His bald sweaty head shined in the flickering street light. Necrosis pleaded, "Don't close! I need to pick up an order!"

The man's laugh sounded like he was chocking, "It's going to cost extra for going overtime."

Necrosis took out the money from his pocket, desperately counting it over and over again, while admitting, "I don't have that kind of money. I only have enough for the medicine."

The man locked the door, putting the key in his pocket. He said, walking away, "Then go to another pharmacy, oh wait, no other pharmacy fills prescriptions for No wings."

Necrosis has wings, why wou- wait, his mom doesn't have wings. What medicine does she so desperately need? When the man left he crossed paths with me; then Necrosis noticed my presence. He baffled, "TERIC?! What are you doing here?"

I became embarrassed. I Looked around in every possible direction, stuttering, "Ah I-I funny- funny story-"

"I guess you want to know what all that was about," Necrosis sulked, sitting down on the pharmacy's stairs.

I sat beside him, saying, "You could always pick up the medicine tomorrow."

"No, I can't, it's closed on the weekend," He told me, resting his head in his hands, "I'm so stupid, how could I forget I needed to pick up her medicine, SHIT!" He looked up at me, telling me, "I told you how my dad left my mother and me. I told you I live alone with her. I told you I work as a knight for King Vistacia. Those things are not hard to say. What I haven't told you is the reason why all these things happened is because my mother has cancer. And saything that... out loud... it just reminds me how real it is my mother is dying. It hurts. My father left her because he wasn't man enough to take care of her. I stood up to the plate, and got a job to pay for her treatment. Once I made enough to afford the cure, it was far too late. Her organs were failing, and still are. Repairing all her organs after the damage would cost a whole other fortune I couldn't possibly afford. All I can do now is buy medicine so she feels less pain during her slow death... maybe if she had wings the government would have helped her."

I had no idea. I told the others about my mother, the original Eve, but I never told Necrosis. My mother died the same way because of me. I talked about Eve, "You know how the Eve who serves as Queen now is a clone of my mother. Want to know what happened to the Original Eve?"

"What happened?" He asked.

I answered, rubbing my hands to make friction in the falls cold, bitter night, "She died the same way your mother is dying. When my mom carried me, our family doctor found a severe form of uterine cancer. She could either get the treatment, which would end in aborting me. Or she could abstain and let the cancer spread and damage her organs; in return my life would be saved. Technology exists where a baby can be put into a mechanical womb, however my heart's weak. I wouldn't have been able to survive the stress of being moved. The days went on and she grew ill, nearly skin and bones when she delivered me. My father had everything ready to replace her organs and cure her of the insidious disease. He was devastated when she died during the process."