Chapter 23: Is this love?

Project K 

Age: 17

Species: Original

CHECK CHAPTER 19 IF CONFUSED WHERE THEY ARE (SETTING)

A soft voice, belonging to N, murmured from the bottom bunk through the darkness of the cell, "Hey K?"

"Mhhhh," I hummed half awake from the top bunk of the opposite bed.

"Don't think I'm a little kid," N claimed, "But I had a bad dream... and I'm scared... can you... can you come down here and sleep with me?!"

I want to, but I can't. "V..." I yawned hoping she would instead; however there was no reply, "C, do you know where V is?" Again, no reply, they both left during the middle of the night. I rolled out of bed, turning on the dim light. My bare feet cringed having to step on the cold, white tiled floor. I mumbled to N, rubbing my eyes, "Where do you think the two of them went?" I opened the cell door to go look for them, but N hugged me from behind. I could feel her face buried in my back. I said her name in confusion, "N?"

I felt her shake her head, begging, "Please don't leave me, I don't like being alone.

"Come with me."

"I'm scared."

I closed the door and sat down on N's bed. I patted the bed beside me, signaling an open seat, as I questioned, "What did you dream about that made you so scared?"

N decided to sit on my lap, with her legs wrapped around me. SHIT I have a boner! Go down! Go down! We aren't trying to scare her even more! One of her hands held my shoulder while the other rested on her chest, above her heart. She smelt sweet. Her bleach blonde hair always got curly after showers. She said, without eye contact, "Everyone I ever killed, everyone I ever hurt, every sin I ever committed, I saw it take away my sanity... my humanity. I became just as heartless as Leo... actually worse. I'm scared if I live through one more sin my dream will become a reality."

"That's never going to happen, I'll make sure of it," I projected, grabbing N's face. I made her look me in the eyes as I stated, "I promise. Your soul is too beautiful; it would be a shame if darkness corrupted it."

N smiled for a good couple of second before reverting back to her worrisome state. She put her head on my shoulder, asking again, quietly, "Sleep with me, so in my dreams I know I'm not alone."

"You don't know how bad I want to, I wish I could."

"Why not?"

"You really don't know... do you?" I spoke in disbelief about what I was going to do next. I stood up, moving N off me. She laid on the bed in confusion. My back faced her; I didn't dare look her in those big, gorgeous, gold eyes. I smiled, "N, since the first day I met you, before we even knew this lab existed, when our world was as big as a snow globe, I liked you a lot. As we grew up together, that liking turned into something deeper. I don't want to say love, because it's far too new for me. I will say every time I'm with you I feel like I'm on cloud nine. Like I'm on rugs DRUGS!" I laughed, "See, my words don't even come out right. You put butterflies in my stomach. That day you asked me, a no wing child, with no family, no friends, nowhere to go, no place to call home, to become your friend. A PRINCESS, made me think... wow, maybe this world isn't so rotten. You're a sweet heart and a bad ass. To me that is the perfect girl right there" I bit the bottom of my lip muttering, "You know what, fuck it." I kneeled down to N, looking straight into her petrified eyes, as I admitted, "N, I think," I grabbed onto her hands tightly, "No, N, I KNOW, I'm madly in love with you!"

N's jaw dropped. Slowly it turned into a smile, "K... I... I love you too."

I felt my face turn a bright shade of red. I fell on my butt, backing all the way up to the other bunk bed. I covered my mouth, hardly able to get out the words, "I wasn't expecting that response."