Chapter 31: pizza

Lian Azuré

Age: 10

Species: Iridescent

Setting: While Esoteric and V went to the festival Cyrus was practicing sparing with Lian at the castle to prepare for the battle royal. Currently Cyrus and Lian are in the courtyard.

"Come on, don't tire yourself out," Cyrus warned me. We both wore gold armor; his were clean while mine were full of scuff marks. I received countless hits while I couldn't inflict a single one on Cyrus. How am I supposed to win? My sword hasn't even grazed Cyrus and it's been hours! It's already nightfall; I'm going to be transported to the arena soon!

I panted lifting up my sword, "I'm not... done yet." We stood in the middle of the courtyard. The courtyard was enclosed by tall green hedges. We fought in the center of a circular grassy field. Koi fish ponds and flowery plants surrounded the grassy field around us.

Before I could charge at Cyrus, Eve descended from the sky inbetweenr us. She appeared as if she washed her face and arms in the ocean water. With a quick glance she could see me struggling. She complained, "Cyrus! Lian's going to be transported to the arena soon! Why hasn't she improved?!"

Cyrus began, "It's-"

"It doesn't matter," she interrupted. She reached out her hand, demanding Cyrus, "Give me your sword."

He complained, "What do you know about wielding a sword?!"

"Nothing," She bluntly replied, "Now come on... give me your sword."

Cyrus threw the sword in the air. It spun like a wheel in her direction. I could hear its sharpness slicing the atmosphere. Looking me in the eye, Eve caught the sword by its golden handle. Fearless. She didn't take starting position. She stood there asking, "Are you ready or not? You can stab me. This dress doesn't stain. The blood wipes right off." I'm not even going to ask how she figured that out.

I charged at her. I swung my sword, but she swiftly collided hers with mine. Swing after swing she blocked my sword. Half the time she wasn't even looking. She wasn't trying. After a while she got bored and decided to 'stab' me. She wouldn't put the sword through me, but she would rest it against my neck or near my chest or head whenever she had an opening; and then she would say, "Dead." If it were Cyrus she would probably have cut him for real, but since it was me and my condition makes me bruise and bleed easier she decided not to cut me. How is she better than me if this is the first time she ever touched a sword? I bet she's better than Cyrus and Esoteric combined. She just looks so fearless. That's it!

I stopped attempting to hit Eve. I breathed heavily, "I get it now."

"Really?" She half smiled.

I looked at the sword in my hand, flipping the blade around as I realized, "You don't fear death. If you don't fear dying, then the hand wielding the sword doesn't tremble. The feet that move your body aren't stuck in place like a fly on flypaper. You're able to focus and let your body do the work. Although skill level is helpful, fear is our greatest enemy."

She gave the sword back to Cyrus. As she elegantly walked away she mentioned, "Maybe it's that, or maybe I'm not scared of pain... The key to it all is predicting your opponent's next move. Always be one step ahead of them, while understanding the capabilities of yourself and your opponent."

"I already do that," I claimed.

She chuckled, "Not good enough." She sauntered backwards towards the castles entrance, "If you think your opponent thought three steps ahead of you then you need to think four. If you think your opponent thought seven steps ahead of you then you need to think eight. Never back down; don't be scared if you are wrong. Never fear death. Never fear pain." She turned back around as a maid opened the door for her. She entered the castle, striding proudly as she said softly, "See if you can beat her now Cyrus."