21

A/N: Lol I accidentally published this too early, so don't mind me editing while you read...

Update: It should be edited now. 

Thalia

"You've always wanted to have a pet but were never allowed to have one, you treat your house elves well," I said as I sat down on the couch, book in hand. "And you much prefer dark chocolate to milk chocolate."

"Anything else Detective Holmes?" Regulus smirked, looking up from the copy of The Lion The Witch and The Wardrobe I'd given him. He must've finally gotten around to reading it. 

Yes.

I didn't say anything and weighed the implications of confronting him.

"Lark?" he asked. 

"No," I shrugged. 

"Ok," he smirked, "Now can you please tell me why I'm reading a children's book?" 

"You know I have to say I'm surprised it took you that long to figure out," I faked a smile. I still couldn't fight the  nauseating feeling deep down. The common room felt almost claustrophobic.

"Ok, to be fair I only started it last night," he smirked, "But now that I think about it, I definitely should've been able to tell from the title." 

"Probably," I smirked. He was acting a lot friendlier. An attempt to make up for his tone the other day. But I also noticed how the friendly expression fell quickly.

We opened our books and read in silence. While he was immersed in his story, I did a quick mental diagnostic on his current state: dark eyes, gaunt face, long sleeves. 

"I have another assumption," I said abruptly. 

Shit.

He stared at me curiously, his grey eyes standing out starkly against his dark under-eyes.

"Ok?" He asked. "Let's hear it then."

I swallowed. 

What do I say? What do I say?

"Lark?" He questioned, raising his eyebrows.

I struggled for the right words. 

He eyed me suspiciously. "Lark?" He asked again. 

"I just forgot it," I blinked, forcing a laugh. 

"No you didn't," he raised his brows. "C'mon, how bad is it?"

Bad.

"Give it to me," he laughed, "I really don't think it can be worse than the one about my 'conversational German'."

I could've made something up.

I could've said anything other than what I actually said.

But the words spilled out before I could even think.

"You're acting friendly because you're scared I'm going to find out what's on your arm," I blurted.

Shit.

Shit.

Shit.

His smile fell immediately, and I instantly regretted what I said. 

The room fell completely silent, the only sound coming from the crackling fireplace.

"What-" he started.

"I know the signs, Regulus," was all I could think to say, lowering my gaze slightly. 

"You don't know anything," he growled, all former amusement vanishing.