44

Regulus

Malfoy Manor was cold as always. Sure, the dark walls and stone floors were unwelcoming, but the old Malfoy family portraits that judged everyone who walked past their frames somehow managed to make the house even less enjoyable.

I still had no clue what was so important about this meeting in particular. After all, I was sure there had been plenty of meetings going on while I was at school. And yet, the house was filled with over 100 people milling around, waiting for the Dark Lord to arrive. 

Some wore masks. Others seemed proud to show off their faces. I wasn't either type of person- I wasn't proud of myself, but I was no coward either. 

I remained by myself, using the shadows the dark house cast as a veil of protection. Luckily, I didn't draw too many looks. Any, really. Everyone was far too busy kissing the Malfoys' asses. 

I observed as many people as I could. I waited. I thought about Thalia. I thought about anything to ease my nerves. 

I'm afraid of many things, but quite possibly my biggest fear was fear of the unknown. I hate surprises. Therefore, I hated this.

I waited and waited, anxiety building in the depths of my stomach. I watched people move in and out of the main room. After some time, the masses gradually started to move towards the dining room. I melted into the crowd and followed.

Many chairs were spread around the room. The most important people- they knew who they were- got spots at the table. I wasn't one of them.

And guess what? I was completely fine with that.

I sat in a chair next to a man who looked to be about in his sixties. He had greying hair and a silver goatee. I felt him watching me out of the corner of my eye.

"Black. Right?" The hoarse voice spoke.

"Pardon?" I turned to the man who was looking me up and down.

"You're a Black," he said as a matter-of-factly.

"Indeed," I replied.

"Nice to meet you, son," he smiled crookedly and stuck out a hand while I took. 

"Likewise."

"Alfred Ashe."

"Regulus Black."

I could practically see the gears turning in Ashe's head. His eyes widened slightly as his gaze fell on my watch. I had anticipated his next question- though I hadn't anticipated how upfront he would be about it:

"Any women in your life, Black? Because if not I would love to introduce you to my daughter."

And have me introduce you to my inheritance, right? I thought dryly to myself.

"You see," Ashe continued, "Ameera's looking for a fine young man like you. Handsome, smart, ric-, er," he stuttered, "Handsome."

I imagined Thalia watching the interaction and resisted the urge to smile. She would have rolled her eyes and failed to suppress a scoff. I nearly did the same.

"I'm flattered," I spoke dryly instead.

"I'll have her-"

Thankfully for Alfred, he was interrupted.

As soon as the Dark Lord arrived in his cloud of darkness, silence washed over the room. I was almost thankful for the buffer. Almost.

"My Lord," Bellatrix bowed. Voldemort ignored her and scanned the room, eyes grazing over each and every person. When he looked at me, my blood froze. Thankfully, it seemed I was far less interesting than the people sitting in front of him.