12

Thalia

Halloween had always been one of the biggest nights at Hogwarts. Not only was it a school-wide event where the Great Hall was decorated and teachers would make an effort to dress up in costumes, but it was even bigger for the students. One house (Ravenclaw, this year) would host a massive party for everyone above fourth year. 

I always loved the holiday- usually, Anna, Hazel, and I would do really elaborate costumes. Unfortunately, I wasn't looking forward to the night as much as I normally would've. I was, however, looking forward to one thing: alcohol. Lots of it.

I was sitting by myself on one of the common room couches, waiting for my friends, when Anna emerged from the dormitory steps wearing a red mini-dress and devil horns. She groaned at the sight of me costume-less, but didn't push it.

"Hold on," was all she said before turning around to walk back up the steps. Ace and Liam came from the boys dormitory a few seconds later, neither of them dressed up either. They sat down next to me on the couch, talking about who was coming to the party. 

Anna came down the steps once again, a pair of cat ears in hand this time. 

"C'mon it's Halloween you have to dress up," she handed me the ears. 

"I will I will," I sighed, "But I'm not going as a cat." I pushed them back to her. 

"I feel like that's appropriating McGonagall's culture," Liam added. 

"I was more going for the fact that there will be ten cats at the party, but Liam has a point," I laughed. 

"Just take the ears and be a bat or something if you care that much," she tossed them into my lap and sat down next to Liam. "And what are you?" She asked Liam skeptically. 

"All yours," he wiggled his eyebrows. 

"I meant your costume, dumbass," she smirked.

"I'm Ace," he said with a grin. 

"And I'm Liam," Ace said nonchalantly, leaning back into the couch. 

"Am I seriously the only one who made an effort?" Anna gaped at them. The smile on her face faltered, and I sighed. 

"I'll change," I decided. "And I'm sure Hazel's dressing up too."

"You don't h-" she started guiltily.

"It's fine," I said, smiling, "It's our tradition."

"Ok, let me help then," she said, her grin re-appearing. I smiled- a genuine one-at her eagerness and went up to the dormitory with her to put together a costume. 

After twenty minutes or so, we finally decided on a tight black mini dress and a small pair of wings which was close enough to a "bat" because I refused to go as a cat. 

When we walked back downstairs, the common room was filled with half of our house dressed in costume. Some people had already left for the party, though most were pre-gaming here. Excellent.

We scanned the room for our friends and spotted them in one of the corners of the common room. To Anna's delight, Joe, Hazel, and Augie had all made an effort to dress up. Joe and Augie were actually quite creative, ripping up a couple of their older jerseys and being "zombie" quidditch players while Hazel was going as a vampire.

We met up with the group and each did a shot of firewhiskey before following some of our fellow Slytherins to the Ravenclaw common room.

We snuck through the dark hallways, stifling our laughs until we reached Ravenclaw tower. Augie hardly had time to knock on the door before Gretchen Flats, a short Ravenclaw girl with bright pink hair opened it and ushered us all inside.